Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honeymoon in Nassau at Sandals. need some opinions

The response my wife would have made is.... Make sure you pack my rods and reels along with yours and dont forget the leaders and tippet reels......

I was lucky that I found a go get um fishing/hunting girl. Oh yea, we did not get a real Honeymoon. Both of us had to be at work the following Monday. However, we agree that the hunting and fishing trips we have taken since have sure made for a great Honeymoon.
    Bruce A. Hering
    Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (Retired)
    Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
    Southeastern Illinois College
    Shotgun Team Coach
    NSCA Level III Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    could anyone give me some ideas on what I should take? rod and reel weight and flies in particular
    Well, for bonefish you want an 8 or 9 weight rod with a floating tropical saltwater line and at least 100 yards of backing, 200 would be better. Most people prefer large-arbor reels these days for faster line retrieval, but for any reel a strong drag is essential. If you already have a standard arbor with good drag system that should be good enough. Flies would be mostly Gotchas, sizes 4-8, some with heavier dumbbell eyes and some with lighter. Add a couple of more realistic crab and mantis shrimp patterns and you've got the basics covered.

BUT!

Buddy unless you're future bride Fly fishes ... I'd suggest plan a short trip to Bahamas after you're wedding ,honeymoon lol
    Just a thought , take care of her , bite the bullet , shop, party, jet ski, and treat her like a queen , ...... make her honeymoon about her , .. it will pay you twofold in the future lol, flights in and out of Bahamas are cheap.... had a buddy go duck hunting on a weekend getaway w/ his wife and she never let him forget it ....lol my 2-Cents lol. .....enjoy buddy
    You sound as though you aren't an experienced enough bonefisher to fish without a guide. So what do you love more, your wife or fish? If you take most of a day out of your honeymoon and pay a guide $400-800 plus tip to show you the ropes, the odds are pretty good your new bride will see it that way, even if you don't, and even if she doesn't say so. If you fish from the beach at Sandals and catch nothing and look like an idiot in front of everybody, ditto. But if you forego something she knows you love in order to spend more time with her, she will remember. Airborne is giving you wise advice: make your honeymoon all about your wife. If you want to learn how to bonefish, do it on another trip.
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 04-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    But I don't care who tells you otherwise, the wedding and honeymoon are all about HER! PERIOD!
    If this is punctuated correctly, I agree. If not, either bring your tackle anyway or schedule a different week!

Wife and I have been to all 50 States. Alaska was a two week trip. Hawaii was four days in the middle of my business trip, she flew in and out around a weekend.
    All the contiguous 48, we drove through.
    Only one of those trips did I do any fishing. California, I was already there for a business trip and it was Wife's third visit during those. We drove to a mountain national park. I had the gear in the car, just because it was already there. Wife wanted to take a few pictures of me fishing. So, I made a few casts, then put it all away.

When I am home, Wife practically kicks me out of the house ... "Go ... go fishing !!!"
    When we travel together ... I don't even think about fishing. Didn't even take gear with me to Alaska.
    Time spent sight seeing with Wife was infinitely more important than fishing. If you don't feel that way, then perhaps you aren't marrying the right girl.

5. Likes moucheur2003 liked this post
    Blog Entries

My wife of almost thirty years is sitting near so I ask her what should she do. She said to set up a spa day for the wife and hire a guide and go fishing. I guess he should make sure she is all right with this. The young man probably doesn't need to pack any gear as the guide should have all he needs. But, then she is telling me I should take off with the guys and go to YNP for a week in September to fish.

Bill

I would leave all gear behind and if the time is right and the stars align you can take the trip and they will have gear for you. I would forego the fishing and enjoy the time doing only the things she wants to do.

Sandals...lucky dog. I watch the commercials and me and my wife look at each and say "we are not beautiful enough to go there" Everyone is perfect.

Their resorts look phenomenal though.

Not a lot of activity from the op since posting his question 8 months ago ...guessing our advice didn’t go over to well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12