Bahamas in early april

bigmanl

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Planning trip for 1st week in april, trying to decide between Keys or Bahamas (possibly abaco). I'm sure the wind gets up in either place at that time of year, but what do you think about Bonefishing the bahamas at that time????

Thanks in advance

gt05254

Reaction score
I go to South Andros in the Bahamas every March for bones. I fish out of the Emerald Palms hotel...you can google it. April is good too.

I think you will find you will have fewer opportunities at bonefish in the Keys. Although the fish that are there are often large fish.

Wherever you decide to go, you will want a guide. Actually, in the Bahamas, you'll have to have one unless you're flying your own skiff in, too. There are opportunities to wade guideless in the Keys, of course (just as there are in the Bahamas)...you just have to find the flats.
Happy bonefishing,
Gary

bigmanl

Reaction score
yeah Gary, definite on the guide either way. Thanks, glad to hear that may be a decent time. I'm thinking about Abaco because this will be a family trip and seems like there are some family oriented things to do. Def interested in chasing Mr. Bone. If Keys, then may try Tarpon if not too early. Heard Keys Bones are TOUGH, so wouldn't necessarily focus on those.

gt05254

Reaction score
If you decide on Florida, google Sandy Moret. I tarpon fished with him years ago, he's definately a go-to guide in that area for any species.

If you do Bahamas, most of the bonefish camps offer NOTHING but food and bonefishing, and will even tell you to leave the non-fishers home. That's why I like the Emerald Palms Hotel on South Andros. Nice place for non-fishers, and some great guides can be contacted via the hotel. google them, too.

Hope it all works out for you,
Gary

gt05254

Reaction score
my next bonefishing march is a year and 3 months away...rotator cuff surgery recently.
tight lines for you, too
Gary

jpfxi

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Planning trip for 1st week in april, trying to decide between Keys or Bahamas (possibly abaco). I'm sure the wind gets up in either place at that time of year, but what do you think about Bonefishing the bahamas at that time????

Thanks in advance
Hey Mon.
Beginning of April may be windy, but often better than March..And generally a bit warmer. I have no experience with the Keys, but have fished about a 100days in Abaco, in different seasons.
If you are thinking of going to Abaco you honestly don't need a guide..
On our first trip there, a friend of mine and I had 86 fish between us in 12 days. But you will need a rental car, or someone to drive you.
I will be there for a long time this spring, send me a PM if you'd like some pointers!
Tight Lines!