Orvis Battenkill Impregnated

huntschool

Reaction score
I am looking at an older Battenkill rod. It's in great shape, in fact almost mint. Has two tips which are straight. It's an 8'6" 5/6 weight. I think tube and sock included.

Wondering what a good price would be.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I think that $800 would be a lot for a 8'6" rod
The number that jumped right out at me was $600, but that's based on a conversion I had with someone about the Battenkills from 6-8 years ago

huntschool

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

An interesting aspect with this rod is its length. I have found via Orvis that this rod, made in 1960, was designed for 8 wt line. Not what I want.........

cab

Reaction score
I thought this would be a question of what to do with a litter of Battenkills.....:D

If she was impregnated by a Radian, that would produce really weird offspring......:D

Gotta stop now,
CAB

markfrid

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

An interesting aspect with this rod is its length. I have found via Orvis that this rod, made in 1960, was designed for 8 wt line. Not what I want.........
Bruce - yeah, I was curious about the line rating of 5-6. An 8' 6 Battenkill is usually pretty heavy and throws a bigger line unless it's an old time "wet fly action." Those are super slow. I had an 8'4 Constable that was supposed to be a #5-6, but it was much happier with a 7. And that booger wore me out if I fished it all day! But I'm a weenie, so others may have no problem with the big bamboo.

Mark

huntschool

Reaction score
Mark:

Yea, my ears went up when the seller told me 8'6" 5/6 wt but I thought, heck back in that time frame you could get the rod "tweeked" a bit when you ordered it, so may be.....

I passed on the rod. I am still looking for a 2/2 8' 5 wt.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

These rods are something that you almost have to use the eBay guidelines for. In other words see what they are going for there. I have an 8 foot 6 weight that I got some 23 years back and wouldn't have a clue what it sold for today unless I looked at current bid sales to see what people are paying. I would think that a 5/6 rod in good straight shape would be cheap at 500 and high at 850. Anywhere in between would be a possibility for me. 6 to 7 seems reasonable, I really like mine.

huntschool

Reaction score
Ard:

They are hard to find, frankly because they hold up, or no one breaks any tips...
LOL......

Thus, very few come to the ebay site. I had one way back when (1960 edition made by the same guys as the 8'6") and sold it to finance a glass rod in about 65 or 66. My bad but I still had a Payne that was in the family so go figure....

They were/are sweet rods.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have two 2-piece 8' Orvis Bamboo rods one is a Battenkill (circa 1970) at 4 1/8 oz with 12/64 ferrule and the other a Model 99 (circa 1959) at 4 1/4 oz with 13/64 ferrule. Very nice rods but have slightly different actions. They are rated for an HDG line, I use either with the Orvis Easy Mend 6wf line or a Cortland 444 SLYK 6dt line. The Model 99 has a softer tip despite having a larger ferrule so I have found it also does well with an SA Mastery Trout 5wf line when fishing dries.

slips74

Reaction score
I just traded some antique rifles for a Battenkill 7' 6" 2/2 12/64 ferrule for 6wt built in 1955. My 1st Bamboo rod so I can't wait to get out with it. I was told to use a 5 line on this one.

vanwagw

Reaction score
I am looking at an older Battenkill rod. It's in great shape, in fact almost mint. Has two tips which are straight. It's an 8'6" 5/6 weight. I think tube and sock included.

Wondering what a good price would be.
$600 comes to mind

huntschool

Reaction score
UPDATE OLD POST

Its been almost a year since this thread was replied to. However, good things come to those that wait, I think.

My search for an Orvis Battenkill impregnated rod has come to fruition with a happy addition. I have a found and purchased an 8'6" 3/2 5/6 weight rod and an 8'3" 2/2 7/8 weight special order Battinkill made for Dan Baily's back in 71 made by Ron White. This rod is of staggered ferrule construction with the butt end being 48" and the tips being 52." I fished one of these years ago and really liked it. It will likely perform well with one line size down as do most Orvis rods.

So, I now have the rod(s) I was looking for. Now I have the urge to add a new reel or two. Orvis CFO or perhaps an even more classic reel.

Go gem em guys. It is getting warmer. It was 60* down in Arkansas on the White a day or so ago

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm glad this worked out for you Bruce. I have a 70's Battenkill 8 1/2'/#8...when I heard $800 I thought it unfair but I would pay you $400 to take it off my hands. It is a massive, muscle builder of a fly rod. I know I have a shorter, lighter line weight Battenkill somewhere too; I'm going to excavate it and post its specs for fun.

Somewhere on the internet I read a history of phenolic resin impregnation of cane rods...it's not as sexy as it sounds, Fred. There used to be a company, Diamondwood perhaps, that resin pressure impregnated wood for reel seats. I like that idea and used one on a build once. G.Loomis's old IMX featured a laminated and impregnated wood spacer, it was good looking.

huntschool

Reaction score
S&S:

The two piece 8'3" rod weighs 4.75 oz. Its a heavy rod but balances well with my CFO IV reel. It is listed as an 8 wt but, after several conversations with some bamboo guys, I am going to line it as a 7 wt. It does feel good.

The second rod is pretty much a do all rod.

If you ever want to dispose of that 8 wt beast, let me know. I was thinking of a more steelhead/salmon rod to close out my collection.

Hope things are well with you and yours...... Waiting for the weather to settle here. It went to damn near 70 here yesterday and we are supposed to get snow tomorrow morning..... Go figure.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Similar here. 60's yesterday and 20's tonight with a bit of snow. Still, not only Crocuses but Daffodils and Tulip green are sprouting already...they think its spring but its not. I will locate and take a smart phone mage of my big Battenkill.

huntschool

Reaction score
We had a light snowfall (less than an inch) early this morning. It is drizzling a fine mist as I write this and is 34*. Its going to be like this all day.... DRAT !!!!

I would like to see pics of "The Beast" if you can.

Have a great day.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It is a record breaking 75 degrees here today, people are eating ice cream cones in shirt sleeves on the street.

I can't find that 8-weight! I eventually will but it is in storage somewhere. I did find an Orvis 8 1/2' 2-pc. MCL Limestone Special. It says 4 1/8 oz. HDH (6) but feels more a 5-weight to my hand. I'm glad I looked for it because its tube was rubber banded together with my Sharps 7' "Scottie" and RH Woods "Eighty Two". Who knew.