Returning to my roots......

huntschool

Reaction score
It has been since the late 50's into the 60's that I fished boo. I must say at my current stage in life I missed it both for me now and the nostalgia of my youth in the East and of course the history of it all.

I have been thinking about this for a year now and finally found what I wanted and took the plunge today.

I am now the proud, and I do mean proud, owner of a Sweetgrass 8' 2-2 4/5 wt, 3 7/8 oz, 13/64 ferrules rod. To go with it I have a two spooled Bill Ballan 3", standing pillar, S handle reel.

I should have the rod within the week. I am so excited I cant wait. As I am sure you all know Sweetgrass is one hell of a rod. I consider myself lucky to have landed this rod.

And here is the reel:

Well, there she is.......

mka

Reaction score
Wow...beautiful rod and reel outfit. No doubt, it will be a joy to fish!!!!

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Great Set-up. Sweetgrass do make some fine rods. Looks like a rod /reel you will enjoy for many years to come. Congrats. It is always nice to get new toys, even as an adult.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Looking good. I bet you remember your first fish with that setup forever.

I also have some boo on the table. Getting a 4 and 5 weight ready for the juan.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bruce: Wow, that is one beautiful outfit, getting a Sweetgrass bamboo rod is a dream of mine, but unfortunately it is way out of my price range. Hopefully, you will post some photos of the first fish you land.

bob3700

Reaction score
Bruce,

Beautiful rod and reel combination. I really like the 4/5wt combination.

Assume the reel is a hand made item. Looks like it will match the character of the rod perfectly.

That first fish will be exciting. Post some pics.

Bob

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Bruce,

Almost forgot. When you get the rod, if you want to try one of the Wulff Long Belly Bamboo lines (5wt) on the rod let me know.

I have a brand new one that didn't cast well on my Blue Collar bamboo rod.

You can try it and see how it casts for you.

Bob

huntschool

Reaction score
Bob:

That would be great. I have been muddling over how to line this outfit. I did not even know Wullf TT made such a line. The Boo Boys at Sweetgrass like Cortland 444 DT. I have also been told that the rod will work well with lines true to weight in a WF configuration..... fine presentation and the other distance with size.

Yea, the Ballan reel is pretty much hand made. Some dont like them mostly because of how he left his business but I have used them and really like their classic looks and great operation. No, they are not Saracione, or Vom Hofe but then they are not $3000.00 reels either. The finish is really good and I have found them to be mechanically sound. This standing pillar reel fits the classic bamboo rod look.

Larry:

I have had some and been adding more "mad money" in the cookie jar for this purchase for some time. Did not know if I was ever going to get to spend it. The stars got lined up and here we are.....

geordie41

Reaction score
Nice rod! I've a similar Sweetgrass Mantra ( not as fancy as yours but built on the same blanks) 7ft9 4/5# ( penta) after playing around with a few lines I found a 5# DT silk was the best match . I tried a few 4# plastic lines including Cortland 444 DT and a silk but found the rod or maybe just me :rolleyes:liked 5# lines the best. Enjoy your new rod and let us know what lines you like on yours.

bob3700

Reaction score
Bruce,

I know what you mean about robbing the cookie jar's "Mad Money".

Ordered one of Chris Henshaws copies of a 3 1/8" Hardy Perfect with agate line guide.

He said the wait was one year so I figured I could sell a kidney and recover by then. Ha!

Bob

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy the cortland sylk without trying it out first on your bamboo rod. They are too light for me and can't load a rod well without going up a line or two. lol.

geordie41

Reaction score
Get yourself a Phoenix silk line DT5# you will not be disappointed .
They cost a fair bit more than plastic lines but if you look after it ,it will last you a long long time !

huntschool

Reaction score
I have several 4 and 5 wt lines spooled up waiting for the rod. (should arrive this afternoon) I am going to give them a try before anything else. My hopes were/still are, to be able to cast both a 4 wt and a 5 wt with this rod (could be a dream) but what the heck. I have spoken to one person off line that has a rod like this and he found a 1/2 wt heavy 4 wt did quite well. That being said he also likes a WF true to weight 4 wt. Go figure.......

Silk line is not out of the question but I think for right now its kinda low on my list. Sure, this is a bit of a nostalgic situation and to do it 100% I should go with silk but........

I guess I'll see what I see. I am not throwing anything out the window yet.

Thanks guys...... waiting for the mail man...... LOL