Choosing the RIGHT boo rod.

bob3700

Reaction score
I have to tell u that finding the right boo rod for u is not an easy task. At least it has not been for me.
I have not had good luck buying used rods. The descriptions of the rods action is purely subjective on the sellers part. What one person says is a good 5 wt, u find out actually throws a 6 wt. better. Problem is I wanted a 5 not a 6 wt rod.
Pick up another rod that is advertised as a 4wt, great exactly what I am looking for. Come to find out it is a very full flexing 3.
So now, I am only going to look at rods I can cast before purchasing.
That is what u should have been doing all along u say.

Easier said than done.

Fly shops in my area dont carry a host of boo rods to try.

Will be headed to Montana shortly n will find the rod I like up there.

mtbusman

Reaction score
If you do come to Montana, look up Sweetgrass Rods in Twin Bridges. You can check out their website, if you haven't already done so, here:

Sweetgrass Rods - Home

When you go through their website, be sure to read the "our legacy," page -- that will tell you a lot about Sweetgrass, where they come from and what they do.

lake flyer

Reaction score
If you are not already a member of a local fly fishing club you might want to join one and start asking around the other members. But I agree, that I will not buy a bamboo rod or any high end rod for that matter, that I can't cast beforehand. There might also be a bamboo gathering near you that you could attend and try out a few. Not many fly shops carry bamboo, except if you go up to the Grayling Michigan area a couple of the shops carry bamboo or can direct you to some one who sells or builds them. One thing that I found is that when test casting and found a rod I liked I make sure to ask what type/brand of line is on there, as that can make a world of difference. I am quite surprised which rods really cast nicely for me and their rather modest price points. The taper that you like is more important than the price tag

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob

I feel your pain, that is the main reason I have never jumped on the boo bandwagon. I would have to cast the rod before I would ever consider buying it. Best of luck!

eastfly66

Reaction score
If you end up waiting for the winter shows to roll around I know T&T brings an array of cane sticks to cast when attending. A demo may be able to be arranged by contacting the shop, they did for graphite anyway.....

If you call and want to talk cane the guy you want to talk with is Troy Jacques or Tom Dorsey himself.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

While there is not a reference to various rod actions you may find the 'Tips For Buying Used Fly Rods' Sticky Thread at the top of the Fly Rods forum helpful.

Although I've been using an array of bamboo rods since the mid nineteen eighties I have for the past twenty something years relied on Orvis rods. While they may be scoffed a little by the owners of custom made rods mine were in fact built to order and they use the lines they were made for. You can however use any of three lines those being one up or one down from the prescribed line weights. This seems to be the case with every fiberglass and cane rod I've ever owned, the line weight thing that is......

I have always stuck with traditional DT lines on cane rods and use them in certain applications where they excel. Bamboo is not for everyone and they may not be a rod for high performance casters. I have found them to be good for those times when I just want to enjoy fishing with a fine rod and not for days when I would be attempting to dissect every aspect of the rods abilities strong points and weaknesses.

Regardless of whether the rod pictured below will meet, fail to meet or exceed the expectation's of every user I find it a sheer joy to possess and use.

That's a six weight Orvis eight foot rod, it will cast a five weight or a seven but for general use a six weight DT seems to work just fine.

Good luck on the quest,

Ard

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing as the op about some of the bamboo rod descriptions. There's maybe a little more heart in them than you can put in an ad for a plastic stick.

I know my bamboo rods are not the weight they were made as. They're older, I'm older. Still looking for the right fly line as changes happen in the cast of the rod and of my casting ability. There's a new sa ultra fly line for bamboo rods I'm looking at.

A quick search found tufts and batson bamboo rod makers in the st louis area. The description of their bamboo fly rods is awesome. Maybe they could help you fine tune your used bamboo fly rods.

Check out the rod descriptions. It put a smile on my face.
Tufts & Batson

bob3700

Reaction score
Indeed, I visited T&Bs shop n Gabe was very accomodating. I did cast a couple of their rods. Found a 7'6" beauty that cast wonderfully. It really matched my casting stroke perfectly, Could tell that from the first cast. He had an 8' rod that I struggled to make a good cast with. Both rods were 5 wt but cast a 4wt fwd line like they were made for it. Their rods are top notch in every way. I did not immediately committ to one of their rods because I am making a trip to Missoula in two weeks. Going to go to Winston n Sweetgrass to cast their rods as well.
Between the three manufacturers, I WILL find the perfect boo rod for me.

gabebatson

Reaction score
Thanks for coming by our workshop, Bob! It was really great to get to know you a little bit and to talk fly rods!
We feel choosing a bamboo rod can be a subjective thing, but also feel that a top-notch rod will offer great consistency, making the selection process easy. A "four-weight" should throw a four-weight!
That is why we offer an opportunity for anyone to try a rod first and if they don't love it, they can send it back.
We want you to be happy!
I hope I was of some help during your visit. Please know that we are putting everything we can into providing a the highest possible level of performance and craftsmanship in a fly rod.
Whatever you decide, please come by an visit us. Amelia would like to meet you and we'd love to hear how it went in Montana.
Thanks again!
-Gabe

tuftsandbatson.com

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I have heard by many, that if you do try a bamboo rod and like it, and then to have one made for you in the same configuration, being a natural material as bamboo is, it may not feel the same as the one you tried.

I have a 7'6" 4wt that casts a SA Ultra Heritage 5wt line like a dream. And the way that I fish, preferring short to medium casts, it's perfect for it. A 4wt line on it works great for longer casts for spooky fish in river flats or pools.

You have some very beautiful rods Mr. Batson.

spm

Reaction score
Bob,
You are near St. Louis, and Tufts & Batson, a bamboo maker, is right there. They do custom bamboo rods and are supposed to be top notch. I have read on their website, they will meet with you and discuss your needs and skills before the Build. I think jgentile, from this forum, has worked with them and can probably give you more information than I.

Tufts & Batson

steve

geordie41

Reaction score
G,day Bob I'd be very interested in your opinion on the difference between the Sweetgrass rods and the Tufts & Batson rods I've a friend who loves his T&B rods I believe he has more than one ! He has written a couple of fantastic reviews regarding T&B and can't speak highly enough about them . I have a couple of rods from Sweetgrass and really like em both one being a 6ft6 3#hex for small streams and the other is a 7ft9 5# penta for larger rivers both are exceptional rods ,but boy do those T&B rods look fantastic !
I don't think you could go wrong with either .

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I believe there are several bamboo gatherings throughout the US every year.
You can cast a variety of rods at these events to determine what you would prefer. You could also bite the bullet and literally go visit some used dealers and try out their stock which in many cases is extensive.

Bamboo is a very expensive hobby. My advice is try before you buy.