Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese bamboo rod

Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I've always been curious about these but have never actually pulled the trigger. So they are okay?

Quote Originally Posted by mattbr View Post
    Could you give some more info on who you got the blank from and perhaps some pics? I'm assuming that while there are a bunch of dealers of these blanks, they're probably coming from the same place.

What did you use for ferrules?
    Sure. The blanks are from the Angler's Roost. Got them years ago. His ferrules are on the 4wt and I got better ones from the Golden Witch for the 5wt.

Here's a couple of the 5wt, you can see a bit of the rattan grip. Love rattan grips but on a heavier bamboo rod I wish I'd done a full wells grip. The agate is from Golden Witch as well.

Stupid me didn't take good pictures of the 4wt. It's a lighter blank, also a rattan grip. I'll post this one - the rod is on the bank behind me. Landed some large fish on that 4wt bamboo rod, don't be afraid to put them to work.

I used sliding band reel seats on both of them. They work fine until you put the rod against your body to fight a larger fish, then you can pop the reel off. I did that, not fun to fish a reel out of the water while fighting a 20"er.
    - William

3. Likes jeepster II, ia_trouter, myt1 liked this post

Speaking of economical bamboo, Brian from The Olde Fly shoppe in Florida sells some nice selection too.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

5. Likes j1973s liked this post
  6. Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

Quote Originally Posted by lkyboots View Post
    Was looking on the auction site at bamboo rods and was checking out a new bamboo Rod for a real good price. My wife asked me if I wanted it. I laughed and told her if I could get it for $100.00. She put in a offer and they went for it. Two weeks later I got a new bamboo Rod with two tips, 7/12 foot 5 weight from China for a crazy price of $119.00 including shipping price. I checked out the Rod and so far it looked good, went together tight and had no problem attaching the real. It's not like my Orvis boo Rod but can't wait till the weather clears and get to try it out. I'll. give a update when I stream test it. Let's see if it holds up to a big brown.lol
    How do you like the action of the rod? I was thinking of one myself.

7. Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I haven't got to fish the Rod yet but it has a slow action. It takes a little time to get used to fishing with a bamboo Rod if your only used to fishing graphite rods.

8. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Take this for what it's worth because I haven't even assembled mine yet. Anglers Roost has some blanks that are built with the same tapers of some of the old famous rods. They aren't quite as cheap as his ultra economy line, but after talking to Johnny I felt they were less of a crapshoot on what I was going to get. He has a few favorites that pro rod builders use for their more economical builds.

And maybe I just drank the kool-aid, but I like the looks of the rod blank quality. The blank is arrow straight, the gaps are tight and the flamed appearance is to my liking. Not perfect flaming, but not $1000 either. The Christmas sale made it hard not to upgrade a bit from the "who knows" blank line-up the econo vendors sell.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    Is that a Zhu rod? I picked up the same size for like $75 a couple years ago. It casts nice..... doesn't have the same mystique as an old Hardy or custom split cane... but I'm not a tackle snob. A nice little blue line chaser for brookies..... if I slip off a boulder and break it... I won't cry as loud.

ft09
    Years back now but I wanted a light single hander 'Boo' and put on to this fellow. Sale went smooth as glass, rod was better than I expected. My guess is he sells a hell of a lot of rods in the US.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

11. Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I got to fish today with it and really liked the Rod. No problem casting and even caught a couple of Trout. It could become one of my favorite rods for small and medium sized streams.

12. Likes jeepster II, flytie09, ia_trouter liked this post
  13. Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

I got a 6'9" 4 wt Zhu rod a few years back,and it was ok. I caught many fish
    On it. The taper was very soft. I sold it after I had it 2 years and I got what I paid for it. Remember it is the taper not the material that makes a good rod. I did enjoy the bamboo feel and I eventually got a sweetgrass rod.

Quote Originally Posted by skcwolfgang View Post
    I got a 6'9" 4 wt Zhu rod a few years back,and it was ok. I caught many fish
    On it. The taper was very soft. I sold it after I had it 2 years and I got what I paid for it. Remember it is the taper not the material that makes a good rod. I did enjoy the bamboo feel and I eventually got a sweetgrass rod.
    So you like the Maserati better than the Hyundai?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast