Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Smile Re: Chinese bamboo rod

Yes but without the Hyundai I may have never tried driving the Maserati.

2. Likes mka, glacierjohn, ia_trouter liked this post
  3. Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

Have been using this Rod and am very happy with it. Got to do some dry fly fishing and fished some nymphs, streamers and bugers. It's a nice Rod for the small streams I'm fishing. The 5 weight is heavy enough to throw a streamer with some weight and light enough to dry fly fish. Now I just have to find some Trout.lol

Default Re: Chinese bamboo rod

Quote Originally Posted by skcwolfgang View Post
    Yes but without the Hyundai I may have never tried driving the Maserati.
    I did it for the same reason. Perhaps someday I will buy a high end bamboo rod like you did. I wasn't about to drop $2K and say, hey, I don't care for this at all. If I hate my $200 bamboo rod I'll get over it.

Nice thing about these Chinese boos...I don't worry about breaking or trashing them. I can slide down boulders, thrash through the brush, and I don't worry about damaging the rod. And, they fish just fine, thank you...

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

I just ordered a 6'9" blank from Amazon that is a Zhu blank. I am not set up nor capable enough to actually make a bamboo blank from scratch, but I do like finishing out a rod blank; i.e., making the grip from cork rings and wrapping the guides. The ferrules on these blanks are already installed so that is a plus.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get a blank from China as that is where it is coming from. Also, someone mentioned that the 6'9" blank taper was "very soft." What does "very soft" mean? I think it means that the rod is a full flex type.
    Joe
    Last edited by xvigauge; 05-06-2017 at 08:38 PM.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    I just ordered a 6'9" blank from Amazon that is a Zhu blank. I am not set up nor capable enough to actually make a bamboo blank from scratch, but I do like finishing out a rod blank; i.e., making the grip from cork blanks and wrapping the guides. The ferrules on these blanks are already installed so that is a plus.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to get a blank from China as that is where it is coming from. Also, someone mentioned that the 6'9" blank taper was "very soft." What does "very soft" mean? I think it means that the rod is a full flex type.
    Joe
    From personnnlie experiencie .. about 7 working days. From there you are on your own as to guide placement, etc.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Thanks fae. The info I got back from them said it would take about 25 days, but I really did not think it would take that long. 7 working days would be great.
    Joe

Thanks fae. The info I got back from them said it would take about 25 days, but I really did not think it would take that long. 7 working days would be great.
    Joe
    Joe...they told me 25 days as well, but my 6' 3wt bamboo rod arrived in two weeks. These rods are much fun...even though they cost not much at all. I had mine on the stream this morning and had a blast bringing in a bunch of 12" bows...that little 3wt bamboo makes the fight with these little fish a blast!!!

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

10. Likes quest4adv liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by skcwolfgang View Post
    I got a 6'9" 4 wt Zhu rod a few years back,and it was ok. I caught many fish
    On it. The taper was very soft. I sold it after I had it 2 years and I got what I paid for it. Remember it is the taper not the material that makes a good rod. I did enjoy the bamboo feel and I eventually got a sweetgrass rod.
    I recently bought a 6'9" Zhu blank for a 4 wt. Probably the same black from which your rod was made. I have not been able to finish it out yet, but I think it it will be great. I have the guides, the cork rings for the grip, a nice burl wood reel seat and the tip top. I only need to put it altogether. But, getting ready to move to Tennessee in Sept, so the rod might have to wait a while. Looking forward to fishing it in the Smokies.
    Joe

12. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I recently bought a 6'9" Zhu blank for a 4 wt. Probably the same black from which your rod was made. I have not been able to finish it out yet, but I think it it will be great. I have the guides, the cork rings for the grip, a nice burl wood reel seat and the tip top. I only need to put it altogether. But, getting ready to move to Tennessee in Sept, so the rod might have to wait a while. Looking forward to fishing it in the Smokies.
    Joe
    No idea who ... but the rods I've got are all top end.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast