Nickle/Silver Ferrule Help

dennyk

Reaction score
I recently was given a 6wt bamboo fly rod-Love It! Problem is getting a good fit with the ferrule. Meaning sometimes I can seat it a 1/4 inch down, other times all way down. using 4/0 steel wool on the male section, anything else I can do?

Sometimes it's pretty hard to get apart.

Thanks!

Denny

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Use a small wooden dowel with a split to clean the female end.Insert it in a drill and use a small piece of cloth in the split.Sort of like used in cleaning rifles.Use a metal cleaner like brasso or peek.Use a very small amount of cleaner.Do not apply a lot of pressure because you don't want to enlarge the ferrule,just clean the corrosion in it.

silver creek

Reaction score
Care of metal ferrules:

Bamboo Fly Rod Care | Bamboo Fly Rod Information Center - Orvis

How To Care for Bamboo Fly Rods Bamboo Fly Rods

Here's another important difference between bamboo rods and composite fly rods. Whether you use a plastic SYLK line or a true silk line on a bamboo fly rod, you should use non silicone Red Mucilin and not any brand of silicone based line treatment including the Green Mucilin.

The silicone in fly line dressing and fly floatant dressing will adhere to the bamboo fly rod blank and will not allow varnish to evenly coat the rod when the rod is refinished. It makes refinishing more difficult but not impossible.

It would seem that one should not use silicone based products…….. just the Red Mucilin.

"Silicone and varnish are not a great problem indeed. Silicone do not damage the varnish "per se", but only inhibit a good adhesion of a new varnish layer and create in the new varnish an effect of "holes". This is a problem very well known in the car body shops. You must consider that this problem is not only create by Green Mucilin or other silicone grease, but we are encircled by products containing silicone, at home and outside, and we transfer the silicone with the hands. The solution is to use, like in the car body shops, a liquid silicon remover, fast and efficient."

The Classic Fly Rod Forum • Did Mucilin damage plastic lines??

"The green has silicone. BAD for cane and any future revarnishing from what I hear. "

Bamboo Rodmaking Tips - Tips Area - Fly Line

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Denny,

One thing you never want to do is use the steel wool or sand paper or files or Anything Abrasive on ferrules. Too tight just means there is some obstruction or oxidation in the female or on the walls of the female section. Once you reduce the diameter of the male there is only one way to repair the rod. That way is a new pair of Super Z's and re-dressing the rod.

Don't sand down the male buddy.

dennyk

Reaction score
Thanks much everyone, I'll start with a small wood dowel into the female ferrule with some cheesecloth and go from there.

Denny

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Just a thought, on the female ferrule would goo gone & a Q-Tip work?

Denny

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
The q tip would work great.Not so sure about goo gone.

The links that Silver posted suggests denatured alcohol,lighter fluid or paint thinner.They are not abrasive and any residue left behind should evaporate.Be careful not to get it on the bamboo or it may remove the varnish.I would try just a very small amount of either.

pnc

Reaction score
Just dealt with such when refurbishing old bamboo rod. Used 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. WET ! Small piece rolled on toothpick for female. Use lightly..... polishing pieces , clean & check fit while doing.
Take time pieces will look new and fit like when they were new.

....... pc

windy wales

Reaction score
Before you get all carried away, try your wife's "oily nail polish remover" on a q-tip on the female. It will likely solve the problem.
windy