Great find for a first fly rod!

mrpatrick

Reaction score
I was at my favorite thrift store and everything was half off. I saw a rod tube and recognized it right away. I grabbed it and said out loud, “cane or bamboo”. I pulled out the rod sleeve and opened it up. This is what I found.

Oh, the half off price was $75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
May I suggest you start shopping for a vintage Hardy LRH reel for that rod. I'm thinking it would match up about perfectly. What a deal!

mrpatrick

Reaction score
Hardy found at a thrift shop

I originally posted this in the rod forum. It probably should be here. $75 found at a thrift shop.

Last edited:

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Welcome, mrpatrick.
What a great find! It looks like it's in excellent condition. Have you set it up to look see if it's still straight and true? It looks pretty much unfished so fingers crossed!

If, as you say, it is your first rod I suggest that you search a few forums for advice on looking after cane rods as they are more vulnerable to atmospherics than graphite. That's a handsome rod and worth caring for. The Classic Rod Forum may be worth a visit?
I'd also recommend gently rubbing the male ferrules through your hair before putting the rod up. This will impart a tiny amount of oil and make separating the pieces easier later. If you don't have hair try your nose. :)

If you want to date your rod by its number you might find it here.

..... Ha! Had to look myself! H4601-H10121 = 1956. 'c' = March.

Fantastic to have the bamboo case and warranty card, too. Hearty handshake, well deserved!

flytie09

Reaction score
Re: Hardy found at a thrift shop

You suck. Call that a once in a lifetime. Enjoy the rod.

ft09

iv_wjb

Reaction score

Better get a lottery ticket, quick... Luck is definitely on your side!! Congratulations!

mrpatrick

Reaction score
Welcome, mrpatrick.
What a great find! It looks like it's in excellent condition. Have you set it up to look see if it's still straight and true? It looks pretty much unfished so fingers crossed!

If, as you say, it is your first rod I suggest that you search a few forums for advice on looking after cane rods as they are more vulnerable to atmospherics than graphite. That's a handsome rod and worth caring for. The Classic Rod Forum may be worth a visit?
I'd also recommend gently rubbing the male ferrules through your hair before putting the rod up. This will impart a tiny amount of oil and make separating the pieces easier later. If you don't have hair try your nose.

If you want to date your rod by its number you might find it here.

..... Ha! Had to look myself! H4601-H10121 = 1956. 'c' = March.

Fantastic to have the bamboo case and warranty card, too. Hearty handshake, well deserved!
It is perfectly straight. I brought it to the local fly shop and showed it to the man at the counter. When I took the tube end off and pulled the bag out enough to show the Hardy patch, he had a little gasp and said, “look, I have goose bumps!” I knew right then that I had found something special. A kayak fishing friend suggested I watch the documentary, The lost world of Mr. Hardy on Amazon Prime. I was able to watch 15 minutes so far and it is excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You will notice that I merged the two threads so there may be some redundancy such as two sets of photos.

While I don't believe in just keeping a rod safe at home, they are meant for use, I do have a suggestion regarding use. Since you indicate that this is your first fly rod it may be a wise choice to pick up a Fiberglass rod in the same length or close to it and go through the learning with that. Reason? Sometimes fly rods tend to be broken, tips are especially vulnerable, car doors and etc. take a heavy toll on rod tips. This thread; The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added. demonstrates over 100 incidents of broken rods with nearly 50% attributed to one cause.

Due to the age of the rod, breaking a tip would reduce you to the single extra and significantly elevate the chance of the rod being one you would be reluctant to use. I've been fishing with cane rods since the early 1980's and have had only one tip shatter. That was caused by normal use, possibly over use because the splines simply parted while I was using the rod. The rod was a recent build and I was able to have the tip replaced. The experience served as a warning to me and at the time I took the replacement tip and purchased another making that rod a three tip rod. I've not had any further trouble with it or any of the others.

I'd just get used to using a fly rod before I'd start with one that cannot be replaced, just saying :)

pnc

Reaction score
Definitely do like , Ard said. Save this for when you stop breaking rods. Its almost inevitable with first. Learning limitations is part of process.
You have one I'll cry over if it breaks.

........... pc

knotjoe

Reaction score

You suck. Call that a once in a lifetime. Enjoy the rod.

ft09
You're mean. But since you already said it, I'll agree with you as it's exactly what I thought when I jealously reviewed the score.:D

It does warm the heart to know thriftshop miracles are still possible in modern times. This may be akin to the vintage Fender or Gibson for a pittance in some obscure pawnshop in Nowhereland, USA. I thought everyone in the used market researched the items twice-over to sticker with the highest imaginable price. Apparently some still just assume it's not worth the time on fishing tackle.

This type of thing never happens to me around my parts and I've been through a lot of pawnshops, thiftshops, and flea markets. Not even for old woodworking tools. Forever hoping the crack, meth, and heroin epidemics would dump a lot of great items into pawnshops in trade for cash, but it's all friggin' garbage out here. (yes, I know...I'm a bad person:rolleyes:)

This is a cool find regardless of absolute market value, thanks for sharing.

mrpatrick

Reaction score

You're mean. But since you already said it, I'll agree with you as it's exactly what I thought when I jealously reviewed the score.:D

It does warm the heart to know thriftshop miracles are still possible in modern times. This may be akin to the vintage Fender or Gibson for a pittance in some obscure pawnshop in Nowhereland, USA. I thought everyone in the used market researched the items twice-over to sticker with the highest imaginable price. Apparently some still just assume it's not worth the time on fishing tackle.

This type of thing never happens to me around my parts and I've been through a lot of pawnshops, thiftshops, and flea markets. Not even for old woodworking tools. Forever hoping the crack, meth, and heroin epidemics would dump a lot of great items into pawnshops in trade for cash, but it's all friggin' garbage out here. (yes, I know...I'm a bad person:rolleyes:)

This is a cool find regardless of absolute market value, thanks for sharing.
Is it against forum rules to inquire about market value? I know it is in some other forums I use for collectible tennis racquets.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

No, we have given opinions on value of tackle items many times. What we frown on are folks who come into something like this rod and then join in hope of finding interested parties.

I am not an expert on early Hardy bamboo but generally speaking they do not command unusually high prices. By that I mean over a thousand dollars. This rod appears to be in mint condition so I'd take my first guess in the 600 range. That may be on the high side unless it were taken in by a collector of Hardy rods.

For instance, an early Orvis bamboo of the same dimensions may sell in the 600 to 800 dollar range. The advantage of Orvis over Hardy is that Orvis still operates a bamboo rod shop and sections such as tips can still be made for even my 1964 Light Salmon rod. Hardy however is (to the best of my knowledge) no longer producing bamboo rods and therefor the rod is not repairable by the maker. That removes from its value as an every day rod for many people.

Perhaps we have someone who knows this market better than I and they will chime in.

The value is that which the owner places on such a rod as their personal fly fishing rod. If you were to search eBay for similar rods that will give you an idea of asking prices. Whether or not they sell is another matter.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score

I wonder if you're not being a little reserved, Ard? After all, mrpatrick still has the warranty card - I'm sure Hardy's will honour any request whatsoever. :icon_lol:

mrpatrick, Hardy are the premier British fly tackle makers and have led the market for over a century. While some feel that their name alone can sell their product (it's still the brand rich folk with no knowledge automatically buy here) there is no doubt that they make some fine tackle, rods and reels, which become heirlooms. Your rod is one such.

I've had a wee look on line and several times see the Marvel's likely price stated as $1200 - $1500 over the past 5 years in the States. However here is a 'trace' of one selling by auction in '15 for only $41! Having said that, who knows what condition it was in?
Most examples I have seen on classic rod-sellers' sites have been sold but here's one still on sale at $1600.

Old Time Angler's website describes it thus:

Three-piece with spare tip. Known as President Eisenhower's favorite rod, the Marvel reigned as the most prized Hardy Palakona from its introduction in 1925 to 1970. With its slow action and built-in reserve power, the Marvel can punch through the most frustrating headwinds and precisely present the smallest dries. It's the lightest practical rod to trick highly selective trout on spooky spring creeks. And the fluid feel is enough to make any bamboo enthusiast grin with delight.
The Jordan-Mills Rod Co.'s site says of their specimen in Spring '17:

31a. Hardy Marvel. 7 1/2', 3/2, 4 wt. This is a vintage piece in nice condition currently with Jim Becker for a ferrule reset. The rod is well known to the rod community as the best rod ever designed by the company and truly one of the best 7 1/2', 3/2, 4 wts. ever conceived by any maker. Will be modestly priced when it comes back to me.
.... so you might keep an eye there for an update.
Condition is very important re: price and I'd guess that your rod has never been restored which will help, too.

However, great good fortune has brought this to you. Perhaps the Universe has sent you a message?

Go fish .....

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Is it against forum rules to inquire about market value? I know it is in some other forums I use for collectible tennis racquets.

Fishing rods, like a lot of old goodie's, have an active resale market ... as does some of your general run of the mill stuff. If you have specific items of value DECLARE THEM on your Home Owner's Insurance. This gives you a full coverage (you do have full replacement coverage on your Policy don't you??!!) worse comes to worse.

My Daughter Julie found out her Father was not being a pain where she sat when her home burned to the ground. USAA was there with a $5,000 prepaid credit card so she could get started ... only thing she had left was the clothing on her back and an old car.

mrpatrick

Reaction score
Lewis Chessman, I think the universe is telling me a few things . Continue to check thrift stores, I’ve been incredibly lucky finding all types of items that others don’t recognize the value of. The universe is also telling me I should get a 7/8 weight outfit to fish the surf as I live Two miles from the Pacific. It would also be a good outfit to use in lower San Diego bay for Bonefish off of my kayak.