First bamboo rod -- a new Pennington Pine River 7' 4wt

desmobob

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making the purchase. I've read some good things about these rods. Anyone here use, or have casted, one?

Tight lines,
Bob

desmobob

Reaction score
I received the rod and got a chance to fish with it yesterday. I have to say I love it. My only previous experience with bamboo was casting a few of those nasty post-war Japanese rods I've stumbled across. The Pennington rod is a whole different animal.

I guess what surprised me the most was the action. I've been fishing fiberglass a lot this spring and I had it in my mind that the bamboo rod would be a bit slower. Not the case. It feels lighter, crisper and faster. The rod seems true to its weight rating as I used an Orvis Hydros Superfine WF4F. I'll eventually purchase a DT4F to try on the rod.

Now, I have to decide what reel to put on it. I fished it yesterday with a current model Orvis Battenkill II. I have vintage Orvis Battenkill Lightweight W and J.W. Young Beaudex reels I could mount up, but they seem to be on the large/heavy side for this rod. Maybe my old Battenkill Mark III? It might be a touch too large, but it's light.

Tight lines,
Bob

flntknp17

Reaction score
I have three Pennington 4wts using three different classic tapers and all are absolutely delightful to fish. As you say, they are true to weight. They cast very well and are a real bargain IMHO.

Enjoy your new rod!

Matt

flntknp17

Reaction score
I forgot to add, I use a CFO II and DT4 on my Pennington rods, but am going to experiment with a Wulff TT4 more this year.

Matt

desmobob

Reaction score
I was about to congratulate you Bob but without pictures of the rod I'm withholding my Kudos until you pony up dude.
Fair enough. :) I'll try to get some photos tomorrow when I'm fishing with it!

Tight lines,
Bob

smarty140

Reaction score
I have a 6.5’ 4wt Pine River that I bought last summer for small streams in my area. I really like it so far, but it’s the first non-graphite fly rod I’ve used.

I have an older Orvis Madison (UK made) on it and it seems to fit well. I am not using anything fancy for line, so maybe there’s a chance to make it perform even better with different line.

I think you’ll continue to like it! I met Mr Pennington at the Great Waters Fly Expo in the Twin Cities several years ago - really nice guy, which makes it better having one of his rods.

ryan

flntknp17

Reaction score

One of my Pine River 7’ 4wt rods......I might potentially have three of them....yes I like them a lot and Steve Pennington has been very nice to me over the years. Great pics above.....thanks for showing!

Matt

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I received the rod and got a chance to fish with it yesterday. I have to say I love it. My only previous experience with bamboo was casting a few of those nasty post-war Japanese rods I've stumbled across. The Pennington rod is a whole different animal.

I guess what surprised me the most was the action. I've been fishing fiberglass a lot this spring and I had it in my mind that the bamboo rod would be a bit slower. Not the case. It feels lighter, crisper and faster. The rod seems true to its weight rating as I used an Orvis Hydros Superfine WF4F. I'll eventually purchase a DT4F to try on the rod.

Now, I have to decide what reel to put on it. I fished it yesterday with a current model Orvis Battenkill II. I have vintage Orvis Battenkill Lightweight W and J.W. Young Beaudex reels I could mount up, but they seem to be on the large/heavy side for this rod. Maybe my old Battenkill Mark III? It might be a touch too large, but it's light.

Tight lines,
Bob
I finally got a chance to cast a 4WT Pine River this week. I agree with your assessment. Nothing like I expected vs other bamboo I have cast. The rod is faster than all my fiberglass and even a few of my graphite rods. The president of my fly tying club has been using one for 3-4 years and loves it. They are beautiful rods, but not just a piece of hand-crafted nostalgia. There is a reason this is his most popular model. On a side note Mr Pennington retired a few years ago. I don't think that lasted six months. :) Met him at a show and he is a delight to talk to.

desmobob

Reaction score
Loving this rod...

I caught a couple of nice browns today but didn't attempt any mid-river photos. Here's the new rod, safe on the bank:

Pennington Pine R. 7' 4wt.jpg

Tight lines,
Bob

desmobob

Reaction score
That's a beauty Bob congratulations :)
Thanks, Ard.

It fishes beautifully. I just need to decide on a proper reel for it. I hate the color of that new Orvis Battenkill II. I got in a package deal with a new Orvis Superfine Glass and I didn't expect it to be so "blue."

I have some older reels that will look better on it. Maybe one of these?

Young reels F.JPG

Young reels B.jpg

They all might be just a tad too large...

Tight lines,
Bob

Last edited:

sjauch

Reaction score
I just got one of these for my first bamboo rod. Showed up just in time for a Catskills trip this past weekend. I’m really impressed with how well it casts. I’m still pretty new to the sport and have some improvements to making I’m my casting. However using this rod almost seems like it lets me know when I cast properly. It shoots line like crazy and I was really happy with how I was able to lay down a dry fly. Roll casting was equally impressive. I'm using the Cortland Peach DT4 line.

It’s gonna be hard for me to not fish this rod every time I go out. For the price I’m extremely happy. Starting to wonder if I should pick up a spare to stash away for the future.

1D10DB86-3C82-4232-95D7-E3A4DF5F93D7.jpg

Kind of crazy that this was the first fish on the first cast with a new rod.
6544EA58-A31B-487A-892E-AE9912F61D27.jpg

geordie41

Reaction score
It’s gonna be hard for me to not fish this rod every time I go out. For the price I’m extremely happy. Starting to wonder if I should pick up a spare to stash away for the future
You can never have to many Bamboo rods in my opinion,if you can get yourself another go for it !

dennyk

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new rod! This past spring I picked up a Scott 7'6" 3wt and paired it with an Orvis CFOIII. no regrets whatsoever!

Denny

desmobob

Reaction score
Bob, that sure is a sweet looking setup, congrats!
Thanks Larry. It immediately became a favorite rod... it fishes as well as it looks. It also was a big eye-opener for me as far as bamboo rods. They aren't what I had imagined and I would classify it as a dangerous gateway drug!

Tight lines,
Bob

axle27

Reaction score
I've been eyeing the 7.5ft 5wts for a good while. Every time I go to pull the trigger, something else crops up (what else is new?). Part of me is also rather anxious to buy a rod and find out that it doesn't work for me (have had that happen, but nothing along the lines of bamboo).