Need suggestions for rod repair

patrick62

Reaction score
I have a Payne and an Orvis Battenkill that need new guides. I am reluctant to ship the rods anywhere if I don't have to. I live in Salisbury, Conn. in the Northwest Corner, and I spend a lot of time in Phoenicia, N.Y. Any rod guys in that general area?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Personally I would take the Battenkill up to the Orvis rod shop in Vermont. While there ask about someone they recommend to redo the Payne rod. Orvis does an excellent refinish job on their Bamboo rods.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Take the Orvis to VT and for the Payne you can check Ray at Cote's fly shop in Liester MA or look up Swift River Rod Co. I think he is in Belchertown MA or Ware and he restores old cane collectibles.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Every September they hold a bamboo rod builder's conclave at the Catskill Fly Fishing Musium.
There you could find literally hundreds of the most qualified individuals from all over the world to work on your cane rods
My fishing partner has been going for the last 10 or so years and he's in awe of many of these guys.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Every fly shop has "a guy" or knows a guy that they rely on to do repairs just like this.
Call Grady at UpCountry and see who he uses