Sharp vs Orvis

dennis7490

Reaction score
Hi,
I was left 5 bamboo rods by a dear friend.
Sharp 8' #6
Sharp 7' #4
Orvis Impregnated 8' #6
Orvis Impregnated *&1/2' #8
Sweetwater 8' #6

The only one i've put a line on and cast on a stream is the Sweetwater, and it was delightful.

FYI - i live in L.A. and rarely go fishing. I used to go a lot with my friend. We'd meet in Yellowstone and fish for two weeks. But, due to a myriad of things I hardly do anything with flyfishing anymore. But, my son (19) has suddenly taken an interest, so there is hope.

Anyway, since i have not cast either, what would be the difference between the Sharp 8' #6 and the Orivis 8' #6?

I know Orvis has a bigger rep (Don't know if it's better or not) than Sharp, so have many of you fished with Sharp rods?

thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Dennis

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not (Sharps) but have known of them for decades, I would expect they are fine fly rods. I do have an 8 foot #6 line Orvis and can say I always enjoy using it. Always transport in the tubes because especially the Sharps rods will be difficult if not impossible to get new tips for. You no doubt have in your possession some fine fly rods.

Ard

dennis7490

Reaction score
Ard,

Thanks. Always use tubes, and just ordered two new ones for the Orvis rods.
I'd be interested to see if anyone has compared the two.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

flytie09

Reaction score
I have one trout and 2x longer switch/Spey Scottie bamboo rods. These are great rods. Well made, strong and a pleasant excursion from the land of graphite. You don’t see too many of them over here.

I’m by no means a bamboo aficionado and have only fished a handful of others.

ft09

dennis7490

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. i will eventually get a line on these rods and see what's up. It's not a competition, it's just that I have two bamboo rods the same length for the same line and am deciding which one to take on the next fishing trip. I'm sure they're different, but equally well made.

flytie09

Reaction score
My suggestion to you...is to visit the Classic Fly Rod Forum and ask those guys.

The Classic Fly Rod Forum • Index

They would have working knowledge of these rods and be your best source for feedback.

I can say...the 8'5" 6 WT Scottie trout rod I have is a tad on the heavy side but I can punch a line out there without a problem. What line am I using? An Echo 6 WT WF line I got on closeout...nothing special.

If I was looking for a proper set up....it would be a Cortland SYLK or Peach as many of the boo experts prefer the performance of these lines. I have a 4 WT WF SYLK and I can say it is a nice silk line alternative. Opinions vary on this.

If you want to play around with a real silk line.......I have one that I could send you. The prep work and care for these always scared me away from them. I'm told they're a joy to use.

alexj

Reaction score
The Sharpe s rods are a joy to fish with i have a 9' #5 from the early 1950s pre impregnated model and its slow but smooth a joy and a change from newer carbon rods . Enjoy them and as said take care of them spares not readily available

Alex

dennis7490

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the input.
And thanks for the offer of the silk line, but the care required for that is too much for me. I will be using a WF #6 since I already have that set up on an old Orvis CFO.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I second flytie09. Those guys on the Classic fly rod forum know bamboo better than most, and I do remember them at one time talking about Sharp's. I believe it was all positive responses on them too.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Using silk is lovely and doesn't take all that much care. When I am done for the day I drape 40' or so around my headrest on the passenger side and let it dry for several hours, treat with Otter Butter or mucilin, wipe it off real good and it's ready to go. In the winter I take it off the reel clean it store loose coils and and put it away for the winter season. Don't fish them below freezing though, bad things can happen.
There are also synthetic silk lines made by Terenzio which are just like silk with little maintenance.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have a 7 1/2' Sharps "Scottie", I all but never fish it but it is a nice rod. I have an 8' Orvis too and it is a tip heavy sort of taper and I also have the Orvis 8 1/2'/#8 Battenkill and it far and way the worst casting rod I own. The Sweetgrass you got is the gem of the bunch, beautiful and smooth though rather slow.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Sharp rods, but own and have cast quite a few Bamboo rods, I have 2 8' 6wt Orvis bamboo rods a Battenkill and a Model 99 both are 6wt and have different ferrule sizes. Each one has a different feel to it and each has it's place in my arsenal. The Sharps impregnated rods were made with a license from Orvis so both are going to be very durable. My suggestion is to try both rods and see which one you like based on the type of fishing you will do. Note that unlike graphite rods it is quite acceptable to try different line weights and many will under line the Orvis rods. For example I will usually fish my Model 99 with a SA Mastery Trout line in 5WFF. Wish I had a friend that left me those rods that is quite a fine gift.

Regards,

Tim C.