Just fished my new Sweetwater 7'-9" 4/5 Mantra

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I've actually owned this beautiful rod for a couple years, but it's so nice I was afraid to fish it out of my drift boat. That plus I'm pretty happy with my various other rods, the Mantra just didn't come out until yesterday.

I'll admit that I ordered the rod from Sweetwater mostly based on nostalgia and looks, I own an older custom bamboo 7.5' five weight that is very soft, tip heavy buggy whip. I knew the Mantra would be more refined, but I still expected it to lean toward that old fiberglass-bamboo feel, boy was I wrong. This rod is very quick compared to my older Scott G series.

I caught about four trout and missed 4-6 others during a quick one hour outing. I had bought a 5wt DT Cortland peach specifically for this rod, but hadn't spooled it yet, so I grabbed an old Hemmingway reel with a 20 year old, hardly used Wolf TT 4/5. First that Triangle Taper is hardly used because it just didn't work for me on any of my other rods, boy was I surprised when the line came alive with this bamboo rod!

The Scott G series is famous for its roll casting ability, but this little bamboo roll cast effortlessly. You'd think a short 7-9 rod wouldn't mend and roll cast that well, but it's the best I've ever had. Second, I was casting dries into a pretty strong wind, I had to concentrate, but when I did, it would punch into the wind and turn over a leader perfectly.

This rod surprised me in every way, including having less "feel" than my Scotts. It just feels different, not good, not bad, just unique. I look forward to fishing it a lot more, comparing the 444 double taper to the excellent triangle taper.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Sounds nice John but without pictures of this rod it didn't happen :)[/QUOTE)

Now that photoshop no longer supports us, I don't know how to post pictures. I'm going out again on Tuesday, I'll take pics. Somebody tell me how to post.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds nice John but without pictures of this rod it didn't happen :)[/QUOTE)

Now that photoshop no longer supports us, I don't know how to post pictures. I'm going out again on Tuesday, I'll take pics. Somebody tell me how to post.
Transfer the images to your desktop, then use the 'Insert Image' icon at the top of a post window. Choose From Computer and Browse. Then click your image and select Open. Next click upload image in the window and we can all be sure you really have this rod and aren't just tellen stories...…… :)

rsagebrush

Reaction score
john, That's the thing about TT lines, on some rods they are perfect, others, not so much. On faster action rods I go up a line weight and that seems to solve the problem, they have a very long front taper and therefore are kind of light on many rods. You can also tune the front taper by cutting it back (I have problems cutting back lines) until you achieve what you want. I have been fishing them for a lot of years and they are great rollcaster's and also will shoot a bunch of line.

dharkin

Reaction score
Transfer the images to your desktop, then use the 'Insert Image' icon at the top of a post window. Choose From Computer and Browse. Then click your image and select Open. Next click upload image in the window and we can all be sure you really have this rod and aren't just tellen stories...…… :)

You should put that in a sticky post Ard

tcorfey

Reaction score
Awesome John, that sounds like a great rod, I really enjoy fishing my Bamboo rods too. I have an 8' 5wt Orvis rod from 1959 that is a great rod for mending also. There is something different about using a natural material for a rod that feeling brings a smile to my face. Many people do not realize that Bamboo rods can be made with many different actions and can have much more complex tapers than rods made of man made materials. Not saying that there are not some great graphite or fiberglass rods and especially in the higher weight categories graphite is so much lighter but, for trout rods I really like my bamboo rods even if I do not fish them all the time. I don't have any Sweetgrass rods but their pedigree is terrific and I have never heard a bad thing about them. Congratulations and happy fishing.

Regards,

Tim C.

cerec_cat

Reaction score
Yes, this is a small company of former Winston Boo-Boys led by brilliant former Winston co-owner, Glenn Bracket. John's rod was made in Twin Bridges at the opposite end of town from new Winston but Sweetgrass has since moved to Butte, MT.
I was just trying to clarify the rod was a Sweetgrass and not a Sweetwater.

el jefe

Reaction score
Yes, this is a small company of former Winston Boo-Boys led by brilliant former Winston co-owner, Glenn Bracket. John's rod was made in Twin Bridges at the opposite end of town from new Winston but Sweetgrass has since moved to Butte, MT.
I think he might have been questioning the rod manufacturer's name, that it might be Sweetgrass, since the thread title says "Sweetwater".

EDIT: Maybe if I had flipped over to page 2 before replying, I would have seen the above. I retract.:)