Orvis Battenkill Bamboo questions

Tarpon1959

Reaction score
Just joined, long time fly fisher, grandfather taught. I have had his rod for many years and received it when he passed away. It is a well used 9' impregnated bamboo rod it what looks like good shape. Two tips, original tube and bag. There are a few loose guides but ferrules are in good shape. It would have been his go to rod and other than a couple of Heddon rods that I do not know the history of. A Black Beauty and a Blue Water I think.

Here are the questions....

What line weights would be best for the rod? I am thinking of 7-8 as planning on using it for SW Washington steelhead.
I have read some of the threads about loose guide repair and have built rods. Looking on recommendations on repair options. Thread is intact, guides are just loose under them 2-3 on each tip, bottom section guides are fine.

We do not plan on selling the rod and will pass it along to one of my children when I am done... with it. They too use the fly for fishing.

Excited to poke around and have found forums a great place for information and also for fun!

Craig

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Craig. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm sure someone will come along who does. You might also try over on the "Classic Fly Rod Forum". Again, welcome to the forum.
steve

Last edited by a moderator:

gadabout

Reaction score
If you send the serial number to Orvis, they will tell you when the rod was made, who made it, rated line weight, etc. I find the Orvis rods feel best with one line size lower than rated.

I’m a big fan of these old Battenkills. I’d love to see a picture. The old warrior deserves a good re-wrap on the loose guides. If you don’t feel up to it yourself, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a local rod builder to do it. You can even send it back to Orvis, if you prefer.

Last edited:

Tarpon1959

Reaction score
I will get some posted.... I love the "old warrior" as I can only imagine the number of fish fell by his hands. Thank you so much for the info. Maybe I will monogram it with old warrior.

I have done some pretty good wraps on the rods I have re-guided so I may just go for it.

Cheers

tcorfey

Reaction score
Craig, you definitely should get your Grandpas rod back on the river those impregnated rods last forever I have several and enjoy the heck out of them.

If you have built rods before then you should be able to rewrap yourself. The proper thread for this rod is Gudebrod 541 Size A nylon with a straight varnish finish. However, Gudebrod no longer makes it as far as I know at least not in size A, but you might find it on Ebay or you could contact Orvis to see what they recommend as they still build Bamboo rods and do excellent restoration work. If you contact Orvis be prepared to provide the serial # they have records for all of their rods.

As for the Orvis rod itself. Is it a 2-piece rod or a 3-piece rod?
The Battenkill rods in 9' came as:
Battenkill 9' 3-piece 7wt and weighed 5¾ oz.
Battenkill Salmon 9' 3-piece 8wt and weighed 7 oz.
Battenkill Salmon/Steelhead 9' 2-piece 8wt and weighed 5¾ oz.
There is also a Battenkill specialty series rod that was 9' 9wt and weighed 6 oz. was called "Shooting Star" Not sure if this was a 2-piece or 3-piece rod.

A great source for all rods Bamboo is here lots of info on restoration etc...

Regards,

Tim C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The suggestions that the guys have made are good ones. I have 3 Orvis cane rods and can tell you that they still run a very good bamboo rod shop. The thread that Tim referenced; Gudebrod 541 Size A nylon, can still be found and I have a source myself. Matter of fact I may have some myself, can't promise I still have it but I've restored rods using it.

I recommend sending it to Orvis and having it fully refurbished. If you really want a monogram they can do that by making a custom decal for the rod and sealing it with some varnish. I wouldn't try the work yourself unless you are skilled at the work and have a proper rod rack with drying motor etc. This work sounds simple but you must have all the gear if you want a good job.

Ard

Blackstonefly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tarpon, Some Very Good advice given to you by Ard, I agree 100% If refinished by Orvis it can be passed down for a few more Generations. Well worth the cost to do a factory restore.