Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  64
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Winston Bamboo Shop is Open!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Well, this puts the kabob on a thoughtful philosophical and historical thread but, OK. mka, I look forward to your photographing a glowing new Winston cane on one of your mountain creeks. I too used to fish a factory cane in such habitats very happily, a T&T 7 1/2' Hendrickson back in the 70's. But as redietz points out, I've gone over to the dark side of plastic.
    That big anniversary date is three years off...I'm sure they will have perfect harmony with SOPs in the new shop by then
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

After 300+ days on the water with 490 One, I got tired of looking at the ugly darn thing, though what a performer it is.

Browsing on the Sweetgrass website, a couple available Mantra rods caught my attention. I called and in one ring Chris answered and told me the rods were indeed available. I had a couple questions about the differences in performance of the rods in question and she told me to hold on a sec and she would put Glenn on the phone. What?? No way!! (In my past life in the Southern California restaurant business I encountered many A List actors, musicians and athletes and never gave them a thought--they were just guests like any other--but Glenn Brackett!!)

A brief conversation with that fine gentleman and I selected the 7'9" #4 Quad. Would you like a deposit? Nope, we just need a couple weeks to finish her up and we will give you a call. Fast forward the two weeks and I drive over the mountain to Butte, shake Glenn Brackett's hand and exchange cash for a work of art fly rod.

At the same time I was also emailing Chris Carlin about an unfished rod of his design and making that was available on the secondary market. He confirmed that it was as advertised, an 8'3" 2/2 Splice Joint Hollow Rectangle Tip Quad #5.

I now have two aesthetically stunning masterpiece bamboo rods from top notch designer/makers that I have no doubt will perform well enough for me to keep the graphite tubed. If it weren't -5 right now I would go find out.

Rods.jpg

4. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

WildTrout...those are absolutely gorgeous!!! Welcome to the forum....
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

6. Likes WildTroutDFO, cooutlaw, hairwing530 liked this post

8. Likes WildTroutDFO, mka, hairwing530, cooutlaw liked this post
    Streams in the GW Nat Forest, Shenandoah NP,Potomac, Salmon River, NY. Exploring rivers in PNW

These are just beautiful. They are so pretty I might just be scared to take them fishing for fear of busting them somehow, though I know they are made to be fished.

10. Likes mka liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123