Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Line suggestion for 7 1/2' bamboo rod

As the title says, it's a 5 weight with a Dickerson taper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Mainline the blueline

Blog Entries

Default Re: Line suggestion for 7 1/2' bamboo rod

With all the upline and down lining recommendations that will come I'm leery of replying like this but...……. I've been owning and using bamboo rods for quite a while and stuck with makers designated line weights in DT unless I found the line too heavy. While a cane rod can cast to substantial distances I've always viewed them as more of a tool for technical fishing and so avoided pushing them. In some cases you must try the #5 and see how things go. All of mine are like the glass rods that followed them in rod evolution, they pretty much will work within a wide grain window as in 4 to 6 or even heavier or lighter. It comes down to finding the line that allows you to fish at your normal range comfortably I think.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I agree with Ard -- at least start with designated line weight in DT.

Outside of that, there are a few other factors to consider, like how old is the rod? If it was made back when silk lines were the norm, or is made to resemble such a rod, then the guides (and especially the stripping guide) will be of a smaller diameter than modern rods, and you'll want to look for a line that has as little memory as possible. Also, taste in rod action has changed over the years. Orvis rods desginated as 6 weights back in the 60's are often now considered 5 weights (very common with Orvis) and I fish all my Heddons desginated as HDH (nominally a 6 weight) with 1 5 double taper.

FWIW, all my cane rods get fished with Cortland Sylk DT, in the appropriate weight. No memory, and slightly smaller diameter than most modern lines.

Thanks guys for the comments.

To answer the question, this is a modern bamboo rod, not an older one.

Also, my main plan is to fish blueline streams within the GSMNP and small bluelines in WNC such as the Pisgah. I am not fishing it on larger tailwaters. Primarily throwing dries only or dry dropper combos. No streamers.

This was a desire on my part for a nostalgia rod.
    Mainline the blueline

Blog Entries

Got it Jay,

Don't be afraid to use streamers with a new cane rod, my strategy often involved fishing dry fly carefully upstream without causing too much commotion then working all the deep pockets and turns as I came back down with a streamer. Unintentionally I have hooked and landed / unhooked 2 fair sized silver salmon in small streams here using my 6'6" 3 weight Orvis flea rod. When you get into a big fish you just gotta use your head more than with a 10" trout

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Default Re: Line suggestion for 7 1/2' bamboo rod

Hi

I would suggest a silk line! Either a Phœnix (made by Mike Brooks in France) or a Yano (Made in Japan)or a TOP (Triangle taper) from Olive fly line in France..

Pat

A cortland peach in DT5F is where I would start.

8. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
    A cortland peach in DT5F is where I would start.
    Me too
    Or the Hook&Hackle High Floater.... which is basically the same line only cheaper
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

You guys are great, thanks much for the input.

I had pretty much figured the Cortland 444 Peach would be a good start. I remember back in the day when that was the line, lol!

I have some other lines such as Rio LL and some AirFlo Elite's I might try just to see how they do.
    Mainline the blueline

I have a 7' dickerson 7012 4wt and currently using sa heritage ultra presentation wf4f. This is a true weight line with an original taper for bamboo or glass rods. I use weight forward for short casts on my tiny mtn streams. Double taper on my longer small stream rods like my sage 389ll.

I'm currently using a cortland peach wf5f on my 7'6" payne 101 5wt on larger streams and rivers. Peach works great but I don't like the color. Weight forward and double taper both work great for this short 5wt rod.

Wondering what taper is your dickerson?
    steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast