Sweetgrass Rod

rockriver

Reaction score
My Son wants to order me a Sweetgrass Rod for my Birthday and has asked me to pick it out. He doesn't fish but the Sweetgrass was recommended to him by a friend of his who does. What do you think would be great for streams and rivers up to about 25 feet wide? I fish a few 4 weights carbon rods, a Scott G, a G2, Orvis Superfine Touch, and a Sage Z-Axis, all 9 footers or a few inches shorter. The G is 10 foot. I have one Bamboo that is not even close to the quality of a Sweetgrass. I also have other rods, but I usually grab a 4 weight. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Emil,

I took a look at the Sweetgrass website and came away thinking hexagonal in maybe a 7 foot or 6 1/2 foot 3 weight.

I don't own the brand myself but have spent hundreds of hours using my 6 1/2 foot Orvis Flea 3 weight. It's a Hex rod and most often the streams are only 15 to 20 foot wide with lots of bottlenecks where they narrow. For those conditions a 6 1/2 foot is nice.
You are talking 25 foot wide and that has me thinking 7 or 7 1/2 foot for a #4 line.

They allow custom design choices so maybe take an hour to study all the options. If your son wants to gift you with one I say you are gonna love the rod.

redietz

Reaction score
They allow custom design choices so maybe take an hour to study all the options. If your son wants to gift you with one I say you are gonna love the rod.
Or just call them, tell them what you're looking to do with the rod and ask for recommendations.

rockriver

Reaction score
Once the local streams and rivers drop back to normal, I'll be spending a lot of time fishing my 3 weights and 4 weights to get a better idea of what works the best for me. I'll go with the cigar grip and probably 7 1/2 foot. I'm kind of partial to 4 weights. I'm still hoping to hear from someone fishing a Sweetgrass either in a PM or by posting about it.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
WOW!!! You could not ask for a finer crafted rod....Glenn Brackett...'nuff said. Just give him a call....seriously, you could hear from this entire forum and nobody will have the intimate personal experience and knowledge of each design more than he will. He is indeed a boo guru and encyclopedia of fishing boo....trust his 40+ years of experience....he is crazy, mad scientist, genius, of boo...and die hard fisherman. Tell him Outlaw said hello and that I'm still not rich yet.

bob3700

Reaction score
My Sweetgrass is a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt. Penta. Had it made for small creek fishing here in the midwest.
Actually made a trip to Twin Bridges when Glen and the rest of the boo boys were located there to actually cast several of the models they can make. There are quite a few selections/options that are available so u have decisions to make.
It took the better part of a year to make and get it delivered but was well worth the wait.
Sweetgrass rods are outstanding for the workmanship n quality. I chose a three piece as that makes the rod very transportable.
One thing I would ask/request are ferrule plugs as they really put the finishing touch on the rod.
Enjoy a fantastic rod n bless ur son for making that happen for u.
Bob

jayr

Reaction score
It seems like there are more than a length and weight decision to make on this rod so I'm not rushing it.
Absolutely. As a new to bamboo guy, I have learned that it has much more to do with the taper. Length and weight in addition the taper is what really determines how a bamboo rod will fish.

There are many traditional tapers out there that are very well documented and can be duplicated but more modern day bamboo rod makers also have their own proprietary tapers.

rockriver

Reaction score
I ordered a 2 piece 7 1/2 foot, extra tip, cigar grip, 4 weight. In July we'll be going over the specs prior to starting the rod.

rockriver

Reaction score
Since the order isn't finalized yet, I'm breaking out my old 7 foot Fenwick that I toss a 4wt. on. to see if I'd rather go with a 7 foot instead of 7 1/2 foot. I have a feeling that I'm going to be buying a second rod in a shorter length, since some of the waters I fish tend to be very overgrown with trees and bushes.

geordie41

Reaction score
Out of the bamboo rods I own (2 from Sweetgrass) I Personally really like the 7ft 4# , a really good all rounder for the rivers and streams that your talking about.
I also fish with a 6ft6 3# which is a lovely little rod but not for windy days or larger flies .
I also fish with a 7ft9 5# pent ( its marked as a 4-5# but I find it’s a 5# )
Also a really nice rod with lots of power that I use on larger rivers.

If I could only have 1 rod for the environments you mention the 7ft 4# would be the one I’d choose without hesitation. In my opinion the 7ft length is perfect, enough backbone for larger flies and fish but delicate enough for tiny dries and catching smaller fish fun .
I hope that helps with your decision , I’m sure whatever length you go with you will be happy anyway so don’t stress to much :D

rockriver

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback on this. I talked to Glenn this morning and finalized the order. Delivery will be in December, not September. My screwup there.

rockriver

Reaction score
I received the rod in Oct. and it's beyond what I was hoping for. It is perfect, at least for me. Waiting for spring to come to start fishing again.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I chimed in way too late, and I'm sorry. But hearing what rod you ordered is the one I'd choose. I fish waters exactly like you described and my 7' 6" 4wt is awesome for them.

Good for you sir, you made a wonderful choice on a cane rod. You're going to love it. Get a DT line from 406 Fly Line company, you'll appreciate it.