Value of Refinished Bamboo Rod?

tom hines

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone
I inherited a vintage Japanese bamboo rod; and, although I'm not a bamboo guy, I decided to refinish it. It now has 2 extra tips and a casting rod piece. I also decided to make a sock and "matching" tube. I know these rods were brought home after the war and aren't particularly valuable, but I'd like to know your thoughts on its value. It is an 8-footer which measures 4.6 wt. using the Common Cents Method. Thanks for any ideas. TomDSCN2212.jpgDSCN2210.jpgDSCN2214.jpg

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I did something very similar. I rebuilt and refinished an old 8' Japanese rod that belonged to my father.
Your wraps are a lot nicer than mine, but I replaced my reel seat with a vintage nickel silver seat. Other than that....

As I was putting mine together I was very cognisant of the old adage "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
So while my rod looks a lot nicer than it did, I'm not sure that I increased the value all that much.
Still, it's a fun rod to cast and I enjoy it.
I don't want to put a value on your rod, but if I were to sell mine, I'd be surprised if I got 50 bucks

ctshooter

Reaction score
I have a few of those "mass produced and generally poorly made" rods.

It's a good thing no one bothered to tell the fish, so far not one that I have caught has complained about being caught on a "mass produced and generally poorly made rod"
They are worth the enjoyment you get out of them or even better the enjoyment you share with someone else.

tom hines

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone
I thought I would update you on this thread. Although the rod cast well, I still didn't think I would use it because bamboo feels a bit heavy for me. I had to have a minor welding job done the other day, and it turned out that the guy is almost ready to retire and grew up using and appreciating bamboo rods. I sold the re-wrapped rod, sock, and tube to him for $75. More importantly, he seemed quite excited that he will have a bamboo to start his retirement! Thanks, everyone. Tom