Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Goodwin-Granger- Champion. Reel?

Thanks for that reference link flytie09, I often forget where I have read stuff and when.
    I thought the U.S. Medalists were all pretty costly to be considered Blue collar, there were lots of cheaper reels even when I bought my first one in the mid '70s. But I guess that is a matter of perspective.
    I happen to like the ones made from '59-'79 in both Akron and Fayetteville, simply for the left wind conversion, I have a couple made in China that function just fine but the back plates are noticeably heavier in the same model. But if I were a collector I'd be looking for the older models with sculpted pillars and also the even earlier click pawl versions.

If you really want to spice things up.....the red agate line guide reels made in the UK from the 30s can't be beat. They are found in a wide array of makes and prices.

WSHX1739.JPG

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Ok, but if we talk about best spinning reel, I would consider about Penn Battle II. Did you try it? It's way better than any other spinning reel, because it's light weight paired with superior durability of mechanism in equal measure. I've tried some other models, but they were not so great like this one.

I actually own the penn battle II reel and bought one for my Dad. But this is a fly fishing forum...... so we stick to those topics.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12