Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Noob bamboo vs graphite question

hi,

i´m owner of a brunner amabile taper in 7 f #3/4.yes it´s heavier (ca.90 gramm)- but for 2-3 hours?...

the taper is a refined double reverse so that i can fish delicately between 10-30 f and if

it´s necessarely between 30-60f.line is a cortland sylk or barrio small stream.

rollcast and switch are no problem.feeling and precision good and it is rather med.-fast.

nice we.

thomas

p.s.my graphit´s in this length are lighter(down to 46 gramm) b u t the tip isn´t so stable!

2. Likes scotty macfly, tcorfey liked this post

So, how do these all compare in weight to lifting a beverage? a pint is a pound? (plus the mug)
    It seems to me that the world may need to invent arm strengthening exercises.

4. Likes rockriver, el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    So, how do these all compare in weight to lifting a beverage? a pint is a pound? (plus the mug)
    To be fair, that pint would feel like it weighed considerably more if the glass it was in were seven feet long.

Still, the overall weight difference between cane and graphite in a 7 foot rod (maybe an ounce or so) isn't so great that it's going to cause anybody's arm to fall off.
    Bob

6. Likes Gimmeslack, trev liked this post

Anyone grumbling of a ‘tired shoulder’ fishing 7’ rods on streams, either has a medical condition/injury or really needs to get a tad fitter...

8. Default Re: Noob bamboo vs graphite question

I use T and T Sextant 9wt and 10wt cane rods in the saltwater quite a bit. They are heavier than the Exocett equivalent and a little tip heavy but nothing that can't be overcome.

They have a remarkably modern feel, and lots of it, in terms of action (not fast but not noodles either) and very strong. I enjoy them

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

To be clear, i was in no way suggesting anyone's arm would fall off whilst casting cane. I'd never really fondled a cane rod, have since only lawn cast a vintage Constable, and ask about weight in order to edumacate me self.

That said, most graphite reviews tend to focus at least in part, on the weight of rod. I recall researching Kairos rod(s) and the reviews focusing on how heavy the rods were. So, is weight bad in graphite but endearing in cane? And so on...

You really won't notice the weight until you hit about 8 feet or so, after that graphite is probably superior, not always though. I enjoy most cane from 6 foot to 71/2 foot long. As compared to graphite the feel is quite different.

Fishing cane is a unique experience that one should savor during their lives, it can get spendy though.

I should mention that there are limits to what a bamboo rod can do and it should not be asked to do what it cannot do. Shooting the The River Runs Through It is an example.

Jason doubled for both Brad Pitt and Craig Sheffer in The River Runs Through It. You can see Jason double for Sheffler’s young Norman Maclean and do the roll cast at 2:20 in the video below. You know it is Jason because of the the 3 point grip he uses. The cast was made with a bamboo rod.

Then Jason also doubled for Brad Pitt to perform the “Shadow Cast.” To remind you of the cast, the cast sequence is a Galway cast into a Pendulum cast into a Climbing Hook cast into the Forward cast.

Galway

Pendulum

Climbing Hook

Forward Cast

Jason performs the roll cast at 2:20 and shadow cast is at 3:18 in the video.

Robert Redford is a stickler for authenticity. Jason was given a bamboo rod to perform the shadow cast and as he was warming up, he told Redford that the bamboo rod would not take the stress of the cast. He could feel that it was about to break. Redford told him to try and after Redford called “action,” the bamboo rod snapped during the cast. Jason was given the backup bamboo rod and he snapped that on as well.

It was only after Robert Redford allowed him to use a Hexagraph composite fly rod, that the signature cast of the movie could be performed. In this case, what Jason Borger envisioned as a shadow cast was limited by the fly rod and not by his ability. The fly cast is a melding of human ability and technology. To limit technology is to limit human ability. So bamboo has it’s place as long as it is not overstressed.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
    To be clear, i was in no way suggesting anyone's arm would fall off whilst casting cane. I'd never really fondled a cane rod, have since only lawn cast a vintage Constable, and ask about weight in order to edumacate me self.

That said, most graphite reviews tend to focus at least in part, on the weight of rod. I recall researching Kairos rod(s) and the reviews focusing on how heavy the rods were. So, is weight bad in graphite but endearing in cane? And so on...
    I think it's safe to say that bamboo must be heavier in cross section than a thin walled hollow plastic tube. It is basically wood, grown with variations and defects that must be worked around when processing the raw material and when assembling and finishing. Each and every rod is unique.

I'll also say that I think the obsession with light weight is more for marketing than it is need. I'm fat, out shape, almost 70 and I can have a very pleasant day with a 4ounce rod, 5.6 ounce reel 7wt line and 1/2# fish. I think the whole rig is just as comfortable as my coffee mug and less tiresome than 16oz. beverages.
    I have found out that for most of my fishing a 7.5-8' fiberglass rod suits me best. If the water requires a rod of 8.5' or longer I'd turn to carbon. Differing MOC have different areas of competency and I believe greater than 8'6" is where carbon excels, 7'-8' is where fiberglass shines, and although I've never used a bamboo, I think of it as good at 6'-9' with the shorter being nicer because of felt weight.

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    It was only after Robert Redford allowed him to use a Hexagraph composite fly rod, that the signature cast of the movie could be performed.
    Yes, and a hexagraph rod is more similar in construction to a split cane rod than it is to a hollow graphite rod.
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12