Fishing in Belize for a student

arctic_hobbit

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a Student of Natural Resource Science and I'm seriously considering studying abroad for a term or two at the University of Belize.

I'm a pretty hardcore fly fisher but have never fished salt before (I'm from Alberta, Canada, currently living in BC), I also tie flies and build rods.

I was wondering what information people can give me on fishing Belize's inland lakes and rivers (the university is an hour from the coast). Info on flats fishing seems pretty abundant but I can't find much for inland.

thanks so much :)

chechem

Reaction score
You must be planning to study at the Belmopan campus. Here's what I know:

1. Freshwater flyfishing is difficult for anything except Tilapia (introduced and dominant in most fw streams and rivers there). They are aggressive and fun to catch. Because they are attuned to feeding on dropping fruit and insects (from trees), they readily take flies. Try the Sibun River near Belmopan. The Belize and Mopan Rivers are too large and too developed in that region, and the Sibun is much prettier (pebble-and-rock bottom, shoals, etc).

2. The real fishing of Belize is saltwater. You can take the bus (cheap) from Belmopan to Dangriga, but it'll take a boat to get to any decent fishing. The least expensive ride out to the islands is Dangriga-to-Tobacco Caye, via Capt Buck. Capt Buck is a resident of Tobacco who makes daily trips back and forth, weather permitting. Once in Dangriga, visit the Riverside Cafe to make arrangements (walk north from the bus terminal). You can hire a boat on Tobacco for half day (with guide) or fish the flats and grassbeds. Plenty of fun, but less productive than via boat. You should be able to get a round-trip ride to Tobacco for less than $100, and get a guide for about the same. Ask for "A.C.". He's a Tobacco resident, and a nice guy who knows the area around Tobacco well.

3. No fishing licenses in Belize, unless it's changed during the past year.