seriously - Belize....

ratherfish

Reaction score
Ok, so the deal is, I am just a poor country boy, but I have a rich son. He is a nut; who knows what he will buy and sell next, just to experience it. Crotch rockets, Vettes, Hellcats, big 4X4's, Toy haulers, mounting bikes,... who knows...he is part owner of a outdoor company just because, well just because. I am happy for him. Anyway, he also owners a goodly amount of land in Belize... why, because... well who knows why, because he can. If I were to have him take me to Belize, what kind of fly-fishing should I expect and what should I expect to catch? Are we talking shallow flats, salt/fresh, rivers,... what? I have no clue. Once I mention it to him he will make me go, but id like to be prepared. His theory is "hire a guide and enjoy" my theory is to "figure it out and do it". Probably the difference between rich and so-so.

denver1911

Reaction score
Belize is a great place to learn saltwater flats fishing. You should have a teacher/guide though. Bonefish, albeit small, are everywhere. Permit are .. well .. possible. Tarpon are abundant.

dennyk

Reaction score
If you want give Nomad Anglers here in Michigan a call. Ask for Erich. he can give you the lowdown on the water, lodging, which flies to use and guiding services-etc...

1-616-805-4393

Denny

ratherfish

Reaction score
He just started a new job, so it will probably be at least spring before I can get him pulled away. But when the time is looking closer I will give him a call.

jjc155

Reaction score
Ok, so the deal is, I am just a poor country boy, but I have a rich son. He is a nut; who knows what he will buy and sell next, just to experience it. Crotch rockets, Vettes, Hellcats, big 4X4's, Toy haulers, mounting bikes,... who knows...he is part owner of a outdoor company just because, well just because. I am happy for him. Anyway, he also owners a goodly amount of land in Belize... why, because... well who knows why, because he can. If I were to have him take me to Belize, what kind of fly-fishing should I expect and what should I expect to catch? Are we talking shallow flats, salt/fresh, rivers,... what? I have no clue. Once I mention it to him he will make me go, but id like to be prepared. His theory is "hire a guide and enjoy" my theory is to "figure it out and do it". Probably the difference between rich and so-so.
Look up the Blue Bonefish lodge on Ambergris Caye. Great operation and not an arm and a leg.

I've been to Belize a couple of times and going back in March 18. Hard to DIY down there as there is a fare amount of needing a boat to get to the good places to fish away from people.

All saltwater flats about 50/50 from boat and on foot (depending on how you want to break it up and what you want to fish for). Lots of bonefish, tarpon and good shots at permit along with snook, cuda, jacks.

J-

jjc155

Reaction score
Belize is a great place to learn saltwater flats fishing. You should have a teacher/guide though. Bonefish, albeit small, are everywhere. Permit are .. well .. possible. Tarpon are abundant.
we had several grand slams last time we were there. My biggest bone of the trip was close to 24in.

J-

denver1911

Reaction score
Wow J! "Several" grand slams. Congrats. Far better than I've been able to do. Three trips. No permit. No eats at all. Had a few legit shots, but couldn't make it happen. No tarpon either. One eat and miss. One jumped.. Other folks at the lodge did get slams or at least two of the three. It is do-able and I'm hoping to get mine in February!

That said, I did catch three bones my guide said were four-pounds. I am not a good judge, but could not encircle the largest part of the fish using both hands. That was definitely a surprise after catching oodles of 1 - 2 pounders.

Belize is a fun place for sure. February is back to Ambergris. Maybe my next trip will be farther south.

jjc155

Reaction score
Wow J! "Several" grand slams. Congrats. Far better than I've been able to do. Three trips. No permit. No eats at all. Had a few legit shots, but couldn't make it happen. No tarpon either. One eat and miss. One jumped.. Other folks at the lodge did get slams or at least two of the three. It is do-able and I'm hoping to get mine in February!

That said, I did catch three bones my guide said were four-pounds. I am not a good judge, but could not encircle the largest part of the fish using both hands. That was definitely a surprise after catching oodles of 1 - 2 pounders.

Belize is a fun place for sure. February is back to Ambergris. Maybe my next trip will be farther south.
Yep we had 10 guys on the trips and if I remember right there were 7 slams caught in a 5 days of fishing.

J-