The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

A simple record of all my fly fishing adventures
Rate this Entry

Another Members Float!!

Posted 08-22-2011 at 09:36 AM by Davo

Friday 08/19 Mcnerney and I floated the Canyon stretch of the South Fork. The weather was great as was the company, always a pleasure floating with Larry. Would have been nice to get a few more members to join the fun but everyone was busy.

It feels strange to have the first South Fork float take place in the 3rd week of August. Even stranger to still see the effects of run off. There is a lot of water and it's still a bit off color. But not bad enough to stop the fishing!! water conditions are good enough that everyone who has been waiting all summer is hitting the water. There were very few spots on the river when we did not see other boats.

The high water and color still have the fish avoiding the surface for the most part. We spent most the day and got the most action streamer fishing except for one side channel where we had some PMD action. I actually got my 3wt out for a little action. Caught a couple of dinks and one nice cutty, missed three other really nice feeders!

Larry moved a nice cutty early in the morning but had a LDR. Then had a few more short strikes. The action on streamers did not really get going till later in the afternoon. Surprisingly we did not get any action on the Zoo Cougars we normally love to fish on the South Fork. I had some decent action on Double Bunnies around midday. But the real action came after 3:00PM on an old staple in these parts, that being the JJ Special in sizes 2 and 4. Lots of swirls and short strikes and a few LDR's. Managed to bring 4 to the boat. Not the numbers or the sizes we were hoping for but all in all a great day on the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the off color of the water here and the big water in the next photo.

Click the image to open in full size.

The good news is the water will continue to drop from here on and clear as the days tick by. So more riffle will be exposed and the dry fly action will improve. The best fishing is yet to come!!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 547 Comments 10 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 10

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good to see you and Larry tag teamed the SF.

Pam and I made it back up Saturday for a one day trip, certainly wasn't as good as it was the week before but still fun to float our favorite river.

It's funny to hear others saying the river didn't pick up until afternoon, you mentioned it, others we saw on the river said it, and that was our findings too. Nothing of size caught Saturday.
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Comment
    Good to see you and Larry tag teamed the SF.

Pam and I made it back up Saturday for a one day trip, certainly wasn't as good as it was the week before but still fun to float our favorite river.

It's funny to hear others saying the river didn't pick up until afternoon, you mentioned it, others we saw on the river said it, and that was our findings too. Nothing of size caught Saturday.
    Fysh

The river is not yet at it's prime. Once the color is gone I think it will really get hopping. The morning was really slow. Maybe the water temp is still a bit cool till the sun gets to it in the afternoon. We only saw two fish of any size other than the ones I missed on the 3wt in Pam's favorite side channel. It will only get better each day!!
  3. Old Comment
    Davo: The South Fork Canyon section is just a beautiful place to float, I had a great day despite the lack of fish in the boat.

Larry
  4. Old Comment
    Nice report, Davo. I wish I could have made it, looks and sounds like a blast.

Can't wait to hear another report, I'll be living vicariously through you guys while having a new baby in the house
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcnerney View Comment
    Davo: The South Fork Canyon section is just a beautiful place to float, I had a great day despite the lack of fish in the boat.

Larry
    Larry

It is one of the more scenic floats around for sure. It was a good day!!
  6. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cromney View Comment
    Nice report, Davo. I wish I could have made it, looks and sounds like a blast.

Can't wait to hear another report, I'll be living vicariously through you guys while having a new baby in the house
    Clint

You were missed, but we did understand!! There will be more floats for sure!! Hopefully some more reports this season too!!
  7. Old Comment
    Nice pix Davo! Hard to believe these rivers are just coming into form with fall one month away! milt.
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milt spawn View Comment
    Nice pix Davo! Hard to believe these rivers are just coming into form with fall one month away! milt.
    Milt

It really is amazing how much water we have this year. All the rivers are still high and all reservoirs are still full. The South Fork is settling a bit slow. The Snake here in Jackson is clear now.
  9. Old Comment
    High water has been a problem here for weeks Dave. I feel you pain.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Comment
    High water has been a problem here for weeks Dave. I feel you pain.
    At least for us it means good water for next year!! With the Reservoirs full they should be able to hold enough for next year if we have a light winter.