View RSS Feed


The Small Streams That Saved Fall Fishing

Rate this Entry
Welcome to the rest of the story; I visited another little creek during the high water but didn't find as many fish there. I did however find a nice big one and I'll get to that shortly.

This creek is narrow and deep, it flows into Cook Inlet and runs rather slowly because it's so close to sea level. Because you are so close to the Inlet you can always have a shot at a steelhead here. The problem is that because it's so deep, you don't see them until they are on the hook and going crazy.

The woods and brush along the creek are very thick and with the flooding all the pot holes for a hundred yards on either side were full of water. It was rough going, even for the Boss.

I did catch a fish on the first cast but it was rather small.

I should add here that I used the same fly every day I fished on either creek. Can you guess which pattern................. OK, I'll tell. Same old same old, Jock O' Dee on a #6 Bartleet hook. I swear, between that fly and my Nine Three variants I don't hardly ever reach for anything else.

The far left row of clips, the fly on the top did all the catching.

You know something; the creeks were more than a place to catch a fish. They kinda brought me back into focus a little. It's easy to get caught up in the river boat travel out on the big waters looking for salmon and forget all about your little hideaways. I'm guilty of being a salmon chaser I guess and it took a flood to bring me home. Before moving here to Alaska small creeks made up about 80% of my fishing and I always attributed that to my success level when fishing big water like Penn's Creek down around Weikert or Cherry Springs. When you get really tuned into the 'nano' environments of the small streams you just know where to find fish even in a truly big creek. Now getting back to the present and the great Alaska flood of 2012...........

One afternoon on the creek near our house I had caught a few trout when this fish grabbed the Dee fly, it caused a little commotion but I was using ten pound leader so there were no worries. I stayed in control and brought it into the overflow without too much time passing between the grab and this picture.

That's what a late run silver looks like when they first start to darken up. Within a couple weeks that fish would be deep red and would be laying eggs. I played and landed it in I will guess, less than 90 seconds. Really, I don't mess around with fish. It's called 'catching' not 'playing'. If you stress a hen like that one she may well not deliver those precious eggs.

I caught a bunch more pretty rainbows but I did mention something about a steelhead in that other creek didn't I? You're probably expecting the hero shot right about now huh? Well......things didn't work out as well as they could have. I made a bad choice when the fish ran down the creek on me. It was no giant but when you've been catching little rainbows a 2 footer is a giant. 2 foot you say? I don't really know but it cleared the water twice and it was a lot of fish in a small place.

I don't blame my rod, I've caught a lot of big fish with it, a 6'3" Lami-Flex graphite blank.

Actually there were 2 contributing factors, the tree across the creek and.......My decision to drag the fish up the current to land it. This one wasn't gonna fit in that little Brodin net.

This business of getting older has its drawbacks! back in the glory days I would have skidded under that tree and been on that fishes butt like stink on poop........ but I tried to drag a really big trout up that current and the hook just plain pulled loose........... in my defense, if you look carefully at the picture you can see that the limbs of the tree actually were like a fence and at the stump end there just wasn't much room for a 6' 4" 225 pounder to slide under it. Anyway, I had a good close look at the fish and I figured it to be a sea run trout aka. steelhead. I was upset, I would have taken a picture and put it into this entry but all I got was a shot of where it happened, the scene of the crime.

October was finished out with fishing a few more little runs and a last Hoorah's trip down to the Anchor Point to look for those big steelhead. I could go on with more pictures of the fish but after telling about 'The One That Got Away' I'll let it go for now. I'll come back in a week or so and tell the story of my last days of 2012, the broken Spey rod, and where the pictures below was taken, we were fishing.

The beauty of fishing with Boss is that nothing really bothers him. He's always there through thick & thin, he actually likes the thick better I believe.

You can bet that before winters over I'm going to tell the story about a brown bear that put the squeeze play on Boss and I in August of 2012. I had to spray this one and in the mle I lost 2 really nice sockeye salmon that I had already killed and put on a stringer........... I can tell you this much now, there are no pictures. People who think about a picture at times like I ran into I believe get mauled or killed. We came through without a scratch but also a few fish light for the day.

But that's another story isn't it?


OK, one more fish...........................


  1. jpbfly's Avatar
    Great report Ard...have a look here and you'll know what a "mle" is
    [ame=]Mle - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=]Total Rugby - French Scrum Machine - YouTube[/ame]
  2. Ard's Avatar
    That was educational JP, I know very little about Rugby and now I've gained a bit of insight!

    Thank You