Czech Nymphing Book

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
The recent thread titled "Choosing a Euro Nymphing Rod" piqued my interest about this style of nymphing. I order several books over the winter to keep me occupied when not tying flies or dealing with weather. Anyway I ordered a copy of Czech Nymph and other related Fly Fishing Methods by Karel Krivanrc and Friends. What a interesting book as he details the history of methods, fly patterns and international competitions. Techniques of fishing and fly patterns, regional fisheries are covered as well. Packed with a lot of cool information. Sometimes reading can be slow as the book is translated to English from Czech. You need to know some simple metric conversions such as 2.54 cm = 1 inch and the length of a meter for leader formulas etc.

The book can be a little pricey on internet bookstores (40.00 to 50.00 and up plus shipping). However I bought a new copy from the Dakota Angler Fly Shop for 34.95. Free shipping and it came in 3 days. Highly Recommended.

Another good book is "Dynamic Nymphing" by George Daniels in which he covers several forms of nymphing such as indicator, tight line., Spanish etc. His leader formulas are more straight forward. Also, you can use any nymph you like.

I am not going to run out and buy specialized Czech nymphing rods and accessories. I do nymph fish, mostly in the winter when hatches are nonexistent and have been using a tight line variation for as long as I remember. Just last week a bud and I did real well nymphing on a well known small to midsize Eastern PA stream catching stocked bows and wild browns to 16 inches (nothing fancy used tungsten bead head hares ear and PTs size 16 and 14). We used both tight line and indicator methods.

Last edited:

flyminded

Reaction score
There is also 3 videos on YouTube that make up a presentation by George Daniel that is worth watching if you haven’t already found them.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent presentation. You can also purchase this as digital media, for those who don't use DVD players anymore.
Jim: Good point, I should have mentioned that, that is exactly what I did as I don't own a DVD player anymore. I understand that Lance and Devin are about to release version two of their modern nymphing techniques.

pszy22

Reaction score
Let me third Larry's recommendation, it is an excellent DVD. Devin's website also has some good reference material on it.