The Complete Guide to Iowa Trout Streams

joeyo34

Reaction score
Just moved to the Des Moines metro area from Indiana. Took up fly fishing about a year ago. Have been doing som research and sounds like this is THE guide for Iowa. Unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere. Anybody know where I could find a copy?

Thanks!

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
Hi Joey, Although Iowa is best known for its great Whitetails, super pheasant hunting and warm water fly fishing there is trout fishing in the state's Driftless Region. I happened to be "poking" around in my library and I came across a Iowa trout fishing article in a 2012 copy of "Fly Fisherman" magazine. The author's list of suggested reading is:

Iowa Trout Fishing Guide - Iowa DNR
Iowa Trout Streams - Jene Hughes
Fly Fishing Midwestern Spring Creeks, Upper Midwest Flies that Catch Trout - both by Ross Mueller

Local Contacts mentioned in the article:
Second Avenue Fly Shop
Bear Creek Anglers
Northeast Iowa Fly Fishing

I seems the book you mentioned is available via Amazon for about 25.00. It is also authored by the previously mentioned Jene Hughes. You may want to search "Driftless Trout Fishing"

Good Luck!

flntknp17

Reaction score
Jene’s book has been sold out for years so any you (are lucky enough to) find are used....which is fine, but they’re hard to find. Jene passed a couple years ago and we all owe him a debt for making Iowa fly fishing better.

I live and work in the DSM area and you’re welcome to PM me. I would be happy to help. There is a small, but excellent fly shop now open at the corner of Franklin and Merle Hay in DSM. We were without a shop for several years after Jene passed. Kevin is very enthusiastic and carries quality stuff and is very helpful. Check them out, it’s called Rod and Rivet Fly Shop.

I fly fish all over the metro and the Drifltess so let me know if you need anything as far as places and times to fish.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If you are on Facebook shoot me a PM. I'll shoot you a link or two to some Driftless guys that participate on a FB group. They might be able to help you locate a few books. Failing that, getting in your car and hitting some streams and you will be on your way to figuring it out. You can get that info on Facebook as well. Unfortunately, but it is what it is :)

And welcome to the forum.

silver creek

Reaction score

Mcbeck

Reaction score
There is a small, but excellent fly shop now open at the corner of Franklin and Merle Hay in DSM. We were without a shop for several years after Jene passed. Kevin is very enthusiastic and carries quality stuff and is very helpful. Check them out, it’s called Rod and Rivet Fly Shop.
Totally agree. Kevin has been a wealth of information for a novice fly fisherman such as myself. He is an Orvis and Douglas dealer. I have test cast about every rod he has and walked out of there with a Douglas and an Orvis rod. He has a nice selection of pre-tied flies as well as all the other gear you might need. You won't be disappointed.