Manitoba countdown

tanglefoot

Reaction score
Ok guys first post, newbie tyer, fly throwin on and off for 40 years.
Still snow in my yard, ice on the river, but researching a couple of spots for southern trout. My "secret" spot is at the trestle, I have pulled a few nice trout from there on worms but this years I am switching to flies... it is a very tiny stream.
I have never taken a walleye on a fly but that is also the plan for lake of the prairies this spring.
I want to try flying from my antique 1974 Silverline Antigua 18T 188 Hp mercruiser, anyone have any luck with walleye in MB? How about Northerns, channel cat, and Burbot???
:surprise:
Also looking for fly supplies in Manitoba.
Tight lines

darkcahill

Reaction score
You can catch all those species on the fly. My best so far Walleye 28 1/2 inches, Channel Cat 40 inches, and Northern 44 inches. Trout fishing on the west side of the province is unreal and you have the chance of catching fish up to 30 inches. All in all we are lucky to be living where we do. The fly fishing is unreal.

tanglefoot

Reaction score
West side??? as in lake of the prairies? Duck Mtns?
that covers a lot of ground, ever fished stoney creek?
what is your best guess for walleye?
I dont think fishing will be good during this flood and right now it is snowing again...RATS!
Jim

darkcahill

Reaction score
The parkland area has some great lakes to fish. Spear, West and East Goose, Patterson, etc all have big trout. As for Walleye I have heard reports that they drained Lake of the Prairies down to just about nothing for fear of the flood and as a result there are tons of dead fish including the 'Eyes. Most of my Walleye fishing takes place on the east side of the province in the Nompiming area.

sixweight

Reaction score
I'm counting the days until I can get out to the Ducks and the Rossburn area. As for suppliers, try Northern Angler in Dauphin. northernangler.mb.ca The owner John Yuri guides in and ties flies for this area. He is a wealth of info.

snowdrifter

Reaction score
I am new to this site and new to fly fishing, but am attending a fly fishing tournament in Roblin this weekend called the bug chucker cup. we are fishing for rainbow,tiger and brown trout

camwasy

Reaction score
If you need any informartion about lakes or rivers in the area I will be glad to help.