Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Ant Attack

Default Re: Fire Ant Attack

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    Might want to contact regional biologists and report your find.

Known Fire Ant distribution globally... looks like Ontario could be new to the list... may be a larger range expansion.
    Did some research and they are probably the invasive European Fire ant. Couldn’t believe how aggressive they were. Like a bunch of little Rambos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes stenacron liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Boltonbene View Post
    Haha. Great idea. Just a coincidence that you handle is Bumble as in bee. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually nothing to do with the bumble bee as such but rather after the old Derbyshire fishing fly, Derbyshire Bumbles, a heavily hackled palmer for rough water.

You must have stood on their nest for an extended period. Yep, we have a bunch of them here in SC. There are several nests in my yard and a constant battle with them.

I've read there are about 200 species worldwide. Nasty little buggers!

I have no idea what you can do, other than be more aware of your surroundings & stay away from them!

Where I fish, I'm more concerned with the possibility of Cottonmouths and Alligators!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes trs liked this post

Yes, as bigjim said...you stood in one place too long. As a frequently barefooted FL resident, I’ve learned to keep moving and be aware of soft ground under foot. Down here, the phrase “you’re standing in fire ants...” is pretty common.

On a side note, I’ve learned to appreciate fire ants in some areas of my yard. I have towering long leaf pines that are susceptible to pine borer infestations. I believe that fire ant mounds at base of my trees protect the them from those little *******s. Otherwise, if I find a mound near the house, it’s toast.

Just a word of warning. Be careful what bug spray you put on your gear. Deet will eat a hole in your waders or rain jacket. Just fyi.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

As someone has mentioned,report the infestation to the authorities ASAP.Fire ants have also been detected on Christmas Island and Australian biologists were called in the locate the nests and destroy them.Some of the shops (for want of a better word) near Ikari House had their doors taped up a few years ago while the scientists eradicated the insects.

9. Default Re: Fire Ant Attack

I “discovered” a nest on Christmas Island in May. Not five minutes later, another guy “discovered” them too. Ouch!

Not even certain if I have ever seen a fire ant, but reading this thread has me checking my pant legs. It's amazing how much pain even the common little red ants can inflict when you have only a dozen of them inside your clothing.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

You'll know it if you get bitten as the pain is like a needle,and when you're a long way from home it's good to have your own medication handy!

Ground zero for fire ants was Mobile Ala. which is just 60 miles away, so I am very familiar with them. I probably have two or three colonies in the back yard right now, as they often don't build a visible mound unless the ground is saturated with excessive rain. I deal with the mounds with one of the pesticides. A friend who had them in his horse pasture didn't like to use anything toxic so he used boiling water. I didn't wipe out the colony but it did encourage them to move. Once they were out of his pasture and in the woods he left them alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12