Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Northern Pike In Northern Saskatchewan Opportunity.

Unexpectedly, I might have an opportunity to spend four days fishing in far northern Saskatchewan, at the Cree River Lodge, in July.

We will be fishing huge streamers with 9 wt. rods for Pike that can reach 40 inches, and 30 inches isn't unusual. I heard the mosquitos are terrible.

I can't really say this type of fishing has been at the top of my bucket list, but it seems kinda cool, and I will be spending some quality time with a high school buddy who I haven't seen in years.

This will be my buddies third or fourth trip to this lodge. Every year when he returns he sends me pictures of pike as big as the Loch Ness Monster.

I was wondering what experiences other members of this forum have with this type of fishing.

Lutz-4.jpg
    -Rick Allen

Default Re: Northern Pike In Northern Saskatchewan Opportunity.

I fish northern Manitoba, not annually but close. The area we go to has some nice variety to go along with pike and walleye.

Mosquitoes, yes. Pack a headnet. We never use them -- we go up early, ruffed grouse still drumming in the woods, and the skeets and other biters usually come out sometime during our stay but aren't yet thick. It'll be fine on the water, buggy in the woods. But I've been up that way, and on the AK North Slope, when headnets were survival gear.

I like 10wt's up there, with intermediate line, although you don't need massive flies to get massive pike to eat. Last trip, I didn't fish any segmented flies. Got my biggest pike on a 2/0 striper fly. Still fished 10s though.

The main thing imo is being prepared to handle pike. They can get themselves hooked up bad, and deep. I like the Cuda jaw spreaders and Rising pliers. Also like a Fraybill cradle but I assume you're flying in so that wouldn't be an option. I duct tape my left thumb. Sometimes I just need to grab the fish by the lip to get control, get the fly out, and get the fish on its way. Pike fishing -- there will be blood.

I get tired of dealing with fish low 30s and shorter, and like sightfishing, or at least conditions where I can pull the fly away from anything small.

I've talked to the Cree River Lodge folks, and am interested in checking out that area, so I'll be looking forward to your report.

3. Likes myt1 liked this post

Wow, thanks so much.
    -Rick Allen

Not Pike, but will be going after huge Carp this summer for sport.