Tie more flies than you can fish? Donate!

tbblom

Reaction score
Not sure if I am allowed to do this here, so I won't put in a real link.

google 'project healing waters'

They are a group that takes veterans out fishing and are " dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and veterans through fly fishing and fly tying education and outings."

They are looking for fly donations that will be matched by one of their tiers.
I have offered a dozen flies for their uses. I figured there may be a few on NAFFF that would like to donate. Look up Ron Donahue on the site.

Cheers, TB

Tevis,

I am posting this link to your thread, it is a regional contact list and I'm thinking that it may be a good starting point for anyone interested in finding their local Project Healing Waters chapter. http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/html/programs.html

If there is a more appropriate link you can either edit this or let me know and I'll do it.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
TB: Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the process of tying up 6 dozen flies for the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program, I might as well donate a few dozen to PHW progam as well. Being retired and winter setting in I have plenty of time to spend on the fly vice! :D

Larry

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Happy to donate 5 or 6 dozen

On the UK site there is a Charity subforum, where the projects and contacts for donations are posted

Hugh

tbblom

Reaction score
yeah, not sure if my 1000's of flies will last me... Larry, 6 dozen! you must be efficient!

I am donating a dozen 'purple headed warriors' (winter warrior with purple thread and collar).

EDIT(wow, you guys are awesome. I had a feeling the folks here would want to help out)

Last edited:

theboz

Reaction score
Definitely want to donate some flys! Maybe we could get some more info on where to send posted here since the forum is behind it. Might make it easier for others who would like to get involved. Great cause Im sure there will be lots of support!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I put a regional / state by state contact link on the original post here and I hope that will help. Because of my less than prolific fly tying style I'll not make any promises on numbers at this time but could easily make woolly buggers or something of that nature.

Perhaps if we do like we have with the Casting For Recovery thread and bump this thread on a daily basis there will be more members pitch in with a few flies.

Ard

Ard

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That's a geat thing if you can find a spot that will actually take them. I just gave a rod away recently and it was more like I was trying to GET a free rod. I have never had a harder time giving something away in my whole life. I called them when I was looking for someone to give the rod to, and they were not a lot of help. They kind of have a 'program' they follow, and I guess it was not designed for a guy like me to try and shoehorn a rod into it. Call them and make sure this will fit their program before you do it.

stuie675

Reaction score
Very cool, once I get good at tying I will most likely start doing this. I am big into donating anything I can or helping others and something like this is just awesome.

To anyone donating good for you!

O

okuma

TB...pm me your mailing address. I have some streamers I hardly use and would like to donate. They are not perfect, but I know they catch fish.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
yeah, not sure if my 1000's of flies will last me... Larry, 6 dozen! you must be efficient!

I am donating a dozen 'purple headed warriors' (winter warrior with purple thread and collar).

EDIT(wow, you guys are awesome. I had a feeling the folks here would want to help out)
TB: I'm hardly efficient, but being retired I have the time to grind them out, plus it always helps to get better the more you do something repetitively. Earlier I had contacted the gal that runs the Wyoming CFR program and volunteered to be a river helper at next year's program in Dubios, WY. She mentioned that last year one of the volunteers had donated six dozen flies to the participants so I told her I would tie up some flies for her this year. So far I have tied a dozen foam ants, a dozen thread ants, and a dozen foam beetles using that "oil slick" material Joni posted awhile back (boy is that a prolific fish catcher). I'm also planning on a dozen deer-hair beetles (another amazing fish magnet), a dozen elk hair caddis and a dozen parachute adams. I had a terrific summer using those patterns so I figured they would be perfect for the CFR program that is done in WY in mid-July (as I recall). I usually don't attempt tying dries as they are so hard with my eyesight, but thought I would give it a go. My normal tying is midges, nymphs and streamers and I just buy the dries. If I get the planned flies done early I might also throw in a couple dozen nymphs, something simple like pheasant tials, hare's ear and rainbow warriors.........all very effective almost everywhere for trout.

Larry

tbblom

Reaction score
Here is a form to get in touch with the organizer.
Form

That way he can organize what flies he needs. He is offering to match flies donated with his own. I offered a few sizes and flies and he got back to me saying which would be best for his groups.

As Ard mentioned, there may be a group that is operating much more locally to wherever you are. Might be worth following Ard's link on the original post to help out local organizations.

I am tying 'purple heart rainbow warriors', thought it was fitting!:army:

theboz

Reaction score
Tevis looks like the only one collecting flys at this point are in your area . I'm going to use the form you posted as a donation is a donation no matter where it ends up as long as it's going to the vets! Good thing this is!

coug

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, I tie many more than I need. I am not the best and certainly not a professional, but they can do with them what they want and I am sure the matching flies will be of the highest quality.

I talked with their representatives at the FFF convention in Spokane this year and offered to help taking the vets out, but the rep said they prefer other vets for that because they can relate to what they have been through, and I certainly understand that. This program looks like a way anyone can help.

L

Liphookedau

What a good idea I know there will be many who will Donate Flies,after checking The Site out once again,I noticed a Chapter in Australia.
A very good Organisation where dedicated people help others less mobile or furtunate.
I'll check to see what extra Flies I have tied & hopefully can also Tie some more for this great cause.

Brian..

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I clicked on Ard's link that he inserted on the first post and scrolled down to the Rocky Mountain Coordinator for PHW and sent Gary Spuhler a message and explained that I had offered to volunteer for the Wyoming CFR program as a river helper and send them six dozen flies. He got right back to me and said that they have Wyoming PHW programs in Sheridan, Cheyenne and Casper. They have a professional tier that provides flies for the Sheridan group but said they could use flies for the Cheyenne and Casper group, so I told him what flies I was doing up for the CFR group and said he would gladly take the same if I could do some for them and also sent my name and contact information to the Cheyenne and Casper group leaders to see if they need volunteers next summer. So it looks like I will tie up another six dozen for the Wyoming PHW program and maybe the timing will work out next summer where I can volunteer to help out with the Wyoming PHW program.

If you want to help out the Rocky Mountain PHW program here is the contact information for their regional coordinator:

Rocky Mountain — CO, MT, ND, SD, WY
Gary Spuhler, Regional Coordinator
rockymt@projecthealingwaters.org

Larry