Rock Climbing

plecain

Reaction score
Last year I fished the last 100 feet or so of a tiny mountain brook where it emptied into a larger river. In that 100 feet I caught about a half-dozen small brookies.

So, after passing up a couple of possible places for the day because of low water, I decided to give this brook a shot.

Some people refer to fishing in mountain streams as 'rock hopping'. There was no hopping going on here. This was rock climbing. In many places I had to place my rod above me on a rock and climb up after it.

As I got higher, it got steeper.

And steeper. Back home I looked at where I'd been on a topo map. In the 1/4 mile I fished, it gained 700 feet of altitude.

You can see there's not much water here - just like most places this year. Each small plunge pool in the pictures held trout, though. Usually more than one in each pool. They ranged from extremely tiny to about 7".

This was a very pretty one, but didn't want to have his picture taken. One flip of its tail and off it went.

When I was done, the walk back down was not fun. I've rarely been in a woods that was so hard to walk through. It seemed like every inch was crashing through trees and brush of some kind. I didn't like the idea of descending along the stream. Going up a place like that is, for me anyway, easier than going down. I'm less likely to slip and fall while climbing than I am while descending.

Last edited:

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great way to spend the day. Hiking very far in areas like that is no easy task. But as you stated, each new hole has fish, so it makes it very difficult to turn around and head for the rig. Thanks for sharing.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Close combat fishing, I love it!

That's the norm for our neck of the woods. Our streams are tiny, usually steep, and a bow and arrow cast is usually the name of the game.

The similar terrain that is in your pics is the reason I went with full on canyoneering boots for wet wading. The gripping ability is insane and definitely helps prevent any accidents.

myt1

Reaction score
Going up a place like that is, for me anyway, easier than going down. I'm less likely to slip and fall while climbing than I am while descending.
You are so correct.

In another life I was a real rock climber. There is a reason most accidents occur on the decent.

Thanks for the report.

spm

Reaction score
Gorgeous stream! Those pics could be on a calendar. I would print them and hang them on the wall. You are so right; uphill is easier than downhill. I remember from my backpacking days.

Good report. Thanks for posting.
steve

Red Owl

Reaction score
That is sometime that I've always wanted to try. As someone who has no idea about how to do it- a few questions....
1. You start with a tiny brook as shown. Is the drill to move up with brook until you find a plunge pool and fish that pool and then continue up the brook until finding the next plunge pool?
2. How large are these plunge pools? Bathtub? Jacuzzi? Larger?
3. When you cast, does the fly land upstream and get washed into the plunge pool or is it cast directly into plunge pool?
4. What type of fly? Dry (ant, hopper) Nymph? Is seems it will get washed down and out quickly. Dap?
5. Can you see the trout? How many casts per pool?
Thanks for any advice. :cool:

plecain

Reaction score
That is sometime that I've always wanted to try. As someone who has no idea about how to do it- a few questions....
1. You start with a tiny brook as shown. Is the drill to move up with brook until you find a plunge pool and fish that pool and then continue up the brook until finding the next plunge pool?
2. How large are these plunge pools? Bathtub? Jacuzzi? Larger?
3. When you cast, does the fly land upstream and get washed into the plunge pool or is it cast directly into plunge pool?
4. What type of fly? Dry (ant, hopper) Nymph? Is seems it will get washed down and out quickly. Dap?
5. Can you see the trout? How many casts per pool?
Thanks for any advice. :cool:
Here's my take.

1. Mostly up. As I said, some of these places, like this one, are very steep. Climbing up is a lot easier and safer than going down. The pools can be anywhere from a few yards apart to 50-100 ft, depending.

2. Anywhere from laundry tub to large hot tub. Most are 4-6 feet across.

3. I try to get the fly up near the base of the waterfall and let it drift back across the pool. Many times that's not possible, so I just do whatever it takes to get the fly somewhere in the pool. The fish will run across the pool for a fly, so location isn't crucial.

4. Whatever works. Wooly buggers, bead head CJs, hare's ear, ants, grasshoppers, dries. At some time, each of those will work. I don't stick with any one type if it isn't working. The water across the pools doesn't move all that quickly late in the year. During the spring runoff, these places are almost impossible to fish.

5. Usually not before they come out to hit the fly. Then, because the water's very clear, you can see them. Mostly they're under/behind rocks. The light is not good, either - lots of dappled sunshine. Not many casts/drifts. Most of these fish are pretty aggressive, so I don't waste a lot of time if nothing shows up quickly.

Hope that helps.

val resnick

Reaction score
Welcome to small mountain stream brookie exploration and fishing. That's the norm many times. I'd rather ascend the boulders in your photos rather than sheer rock bluffs. I've done plenty of both and busted my ass doing plenty of both. Metal studs help immensely especially while leaves are littered about.

plecain

Reaction score
Welcome to small mountain stream brookie exploration and fishing. That's the norm many times. I'd rather ascend the boulders in your photos rather than sheer rock bluffs. I've done plenty of both and busted my ass doing plenty of both. Metal studs help immensely especially while leaves are littered about.
I see you're new here.

Welcome aboard.

What part of the country are you in (assuming it's the US)?

jayr

Reaction score

That is my normal type of fly fishing I do as well. One stream I fish in the GSMNP has rocks the size of SUV's to climb on or around.