The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Coldwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for trout, steelhead, salmon, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Many Articles on The Alaska Flies & Rivers Blog;

I don't do much in the way of plugging my website or even mention that I have one in posting here. There are however many articles (most are informational) on the Flies & Rivers page of the site.

There are pieces about weirs and fish tracking programs conducted by Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game and so many I can't remember all the topics.

If you are looking for something different and of a Northern variety maybe you'll enjoy some of the articles.

Link; The Alaska Flies & Rivers Page

BTW: feel free to leave comments or questions on the article entries and I'll be more than happy to tell you what I think I know about the topic.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many Articles on The Alaska Flies & Rivers Blog;

I always enjoy your writings and when I get in a mood I'll read five of your blog entries on this forum at once. Some may think it is all Alaska, or just two handed rod streamer tactics. It's much more than that IMO. It's usually entertaining fishing literature. I would still make that statement even if I had no real interest in fly fishing.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dewayne,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, some of the stuff on the website can be found here on the forum blog also but there are others that are not on the forum. The two I was most proud are the 'Fish Counting' and Tracking The Kings articles. The department of fish & game actually contacted me a couple years ago to ask if I would mind if they copied them for use in a presentation. They came up short in their own documentation of programs and were searching on-line for images to use. They found both articles and then adapted them. That was pretty cool.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

That is cool you could help them out Ard. As much AK Fish and Game invests in accurate fish counts, you would think they would take the time to take a lot of photos.

I know this suggestion is outside your normal realm of outdoors journalism, but some year soon you should take some photos of the peak season "Ship Creek King Salmon Circus". And a paragraph or two of course. I'm sure I am not the only one who had never seen anything like that in my life. My first impression was wow, this is really awful. But then again, how many places on this earth offer King Salmon fishing only a three minute walk from hotels? I wish I had taken PICs from the observation walking bridge. It's quite a spectacle when all the fishermen show up on tide schedule.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Here's one written in 2009, the fishing described took place in 2005 & 06. The flies were circa 2004 and have morphed quite a bit since then. Oddly enough I caught plenty on the crude patterns.

How Bout Them Kings, as told by Ard Stetts for Salmonfly.Net

If I'm in town during the season I'll stop by and take pictures.

Last edited by Ard; 03-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Another good article. I remember you showing me a place you waded to when tide allowed. For the most part I can't even imagine fly fishing it. You got creative for good reason. I took the kid down there with a spinning rod briefly and I'm not sure you could get over ten feet of space to yourself. There were folks obviously trying to "accidentally" snag them. Stayed clear of that as it looked like a good way to catch a large treble hook. Nice fish were there though. It's still pretty neat in a downtown environment. If a person was working or lived in downtown Anchorage it would beat no fishing once you wised up. I thought the trout stream within casting distance of the Wendy's outdoor dining area was interesting too.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Administrator

When I lived in Anchorage Dewayne the fall of 2005 I caught so many Silvers without leaving City limits that I had to stop for almost a week due to a swollen and sore right wrist. That was the year I began researching 2 hand rods. In all seriousness, if you were to have around 25 - 35 salmon ranging between 5.5 and 9.5 pounds grab a fly every day for a couple weeks things can become sore from strain.

First I bought several rods with decent fighting butts in 2006 & 2007 and then in 2008 ordered a 13' eight weight. Once I got past the intimidation factor of the big rod I never had another sore wrist.

Learning a system for daily success there on Ship Creek was not hard as you may think.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:09 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

Ship Creek isn't fun. Saw several fights last years a man even had a gun drawn on him. I was threatened and the guy couldn't give a reason why. I was fishing and he invaded my spot and tried to push me out of it. I finally told him what I thought and he snickers and moved on. I look for somebody to get hurt there over crazy, senseless ****.

I do enjoy reading your writings. Keep up the good work!
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoho View Post
Ship Creek isn't fun. Saw several fights last years a man even had a gun drawn on him. I was threatened and the guy couldn't give a reason why. I was fishing and he invaded my spot and tried to push me out of it. I finally told him what I thought and he snickers and moved on. I look for somebody to get hurt there over crazy, senseless ****.

I do enjoy reading your writings. Keep up the good work!
I've seen photos of the crowds on Ship Creek, for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to fish in conditions like that. i can certainly believe that confrontations occur there.

Likes bigcoho liked this post
Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Administrator

This was my experience Larry

How Bout Them Kings, as told by Ard Stetts for Salmonfly.Net

Likes mcnerney liked this post