Once more, but sunny

plecain

Reaction score
Earlier in the week, in the pouring rain, the Saco River in NH was fishing pretty well.
Time to try it again in sunny weather.
The last time I was here, the fish seemed to be mostly in the riffles. At least the ones that were interested in my flies were.
Like this.

The picture's a little deceiving. It's deeper than it looks, 1-2 feet mostly.
The last time, I caught all browns. This time started the same.

Finally, later in the day, I caught the first (and only) brookie. Nice fish, about 15".

Once again, everything wanted dry flies. I tried WB's in all colors, streamers, a bunny leech (fish chased it but turned away), and CJs (caught one on that). Met one other fly fisherman. He was using a black WB and catching nothing. I told him what I was using. Don't know if he did any better as we were headed in different directions and I didn't see him again.
Which dries? The fly had to have some bright color - white or yellow, for instance. EHC didn't work well. Neither did all black. All white worked. Royal Wulff was good. Gray with a yellow body seemed like the best today.
I started a little after 6:00 AM. By 2:00 PM it was 84°. I had walked a long way on the river because I started just skipping over all the pools to get to the next set of riffles. So, I quit for the day.
Long day for my old bones, but fun just the same.