Your thoughts on trout parks??

r reese

Reaction score
I enjoy them myself. Not as easy to catch as one might think. First thing
of the morning, yes they hit anything. I like the winter fishing in parks. Catch and release only. I like weekdays.

r reese

Reaction score
Yes Missouri has 3. Spring fed Rivers stocked daily. Stocked accordingly to how many tags sold daily.

dakotakid

Reaction score
Assuming that Montauk State Park on the Current River would qualify as a trout park, that's the first place I was introduced to trout fishing. I had a good time and would do it again if the opportunity arises. Given the choice between a trout park and fishing for wild trout, I'd go for wild trout every time.

As you mentioned, first thing in the morning they hit everything. At Montauk, we could have our four fish limit within 10 - 15 minutes of the start fishing horn. We would catch three and then release everything else so that we could continue fishing. Never having caught trout prior to that, it was a good first step in the learning curve.

plecain

Reaction score
A trout park seems quite different from a stocked lake or pond which might get stocked once or twice during the year.

Edit:
Just did what I should have done earlier - looked up Missouri Trout Parks.
It appears they're mostly streams (rather than ponds or lakes) where they stock lots of fish, with sections set aside for different methods of fishing.

brownbass

Reaction score
If you're new to trout or any other form of fishing the trout parks are fine. Missouri has four. Meramec Springs, Montauk, Bennet Springs, and Roaring River. I occasionally fish the parks but then it's more of a camaraderie type situation, in the spring after the parks open to the public. In the winter C&R season, it's a different story. They stock the waters before it opens and then that's it until the spring opener for catch and keep. by the end of C&R season, the trout in the park are wised up to most of the flies.
Not all of the fishing is put and take like in parks but that is the most popular trout fishing in Missouri for the majority of people in Missouri. Below the parks in the rivers is where I and most of the group I associate with fish.
I like the Blue Ribbon, Wild trout creeks but they are more seasonal because of spring flows. The fish in these creeks run small but they are more beautiful than almost any trout you will catch in the parks.
We also have Lake Taneycomo a tailwater fishery that is in a class of its own.

Bill

Reactions: spm

pnc

Reaction score
Are these pay to fish places ? Or just regulated and stocked ?
If I fished for trout I'd love either. If they kept one person away from spots I liked.
Second thought.... perhaps they take some pressure off of wild fish.

........ pc

nevadanstig

Reaction score
You can add my name to the list of people that have never heard of or have no clue what a trout park is.
Just my opinion, but theyre fish. I like fishing as much as the next guy but it seems kinda rude to catch them while theyre playing on slides, swings and monkey bars. I mean as fish, how often do they get to go have picnics and play?

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
Are these pay to fish places ? Or just regulated and stocked ?
If I fished for trout I'd love either. If they kept one person away from spots I liked.
Second thought.... perhaps they take some pressure off of wild fish.

........ pc
The Trout parks are pay to fish. Three dollars to fish per day. Plus a fishing license. The limit is four trout a day. The number of fish stocked per day is based on a historical average for that date The weekends are the busiest. During the summer when school is out it is really busy all week. If you go you go knowing the parks will be full. I am happy that school is about to start. That should thin the herd a bit. Of course, I still have to deal with all the old farts like myself that are retired.

Bill

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

You can add my name to the list of people that have never heard of or have no clue what a trout park is.
Just my opinion, but theyre fish. I like fishing as much as the next guy but it seems kinda rude to catch them while theyre playing on slides, swings and monkey bars. I mean as fish, how often do they get to go have picnics and play?

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
All they do is eat! I feel I am doing them a favor by playing with them. Many of them don't appreciate my efforts on their behalf and ignore my invitations. I had one of the little *******s wrap me up in a monkey bar last week.

Bill

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'm with those who have been in Missouri's trout parks. For those who don't know, the parks stock trout daily based on the number of tags sold the day before.

Trout parks have their own feel and culture, distinct from fishing a wild stream, though there are variances from park to park. I haven't fished Montauk, but it's the most rustic and people report that they can easily get themselves in a situation that feels "wild" and "alone." That isn't the case at Bennett Spring. There will be people within fifty feet of you for sure. That said, I never felt like I wasn't trout fishing, and I like the parks. The people always add to the experience for me.

All of this makes the trout "eccentric." The nightly stocking puts fish in the water so gullible that they'll hit the first thing that falls on the water. Yet, you can detect a very distinct learning curve, and a trout park fish that survives sees heavy pressure and fly after fly and has maybe been caught and released a few times. They can be really challenging. It ends up being a mix of gullible, learning, and very wise fish. Trout park fish are often very fickle and finicky, and it's because they are being constantly educated or have been already.

About the trout park culture: First, these places are beautiful and also historic. There'll be Native American traditions about the scenery, and inevitably the hatchery and lodge buildings were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps or some such. Normally, the stream had a mill or dam built by some settler or there was an actual settlement. Remnants of that (or even the mill, in the case of Montauk) will often be present.

There's also a huge amount of tradition and nostalgia associated with trout parks. There's first of all the culture of the Ozarks. There are traditional flies, techniques, etc. At Bennett, the stream features have names: Bluff Hole, Suzy Hole, State Record Rock, Kingfisher Flat, etc. Some of these names go way, way back. Opening Day is like a carnival, and people anticipate it they way they do opening day of deer season in Minnesota.

A trout park will often have its personalities and characters, too, especially the busier ones. There are retirees that reside or spend summers around them and fish every day. A number of flyshop owners or people running businesses in the area are easily recognized. I've made relationships with several people that stem from camping in the same campground each summer. If you listen closely to people who frequent the parks a lot, they'll refer to the "the gang." (This is very much a part of the opening day, shoulder to shoulder madhouse. It's a tradition).

I should add that parks are very family-oriented, too. A trout park is a great place to take kids on a fishing/camping trip.

flytie09

Reaction score
Sounds like what they have in Ecuador. Not really... but they're trout ponds. $.50 and $2.25/lb gets you a broken pole, a treble hook and a days supply of dough balls. :fishing:

You really talked them up ffer for men.... to the point that I might want to see what it's all about. :eek:....We have something similar in VA.... $50/day and you can fish all day for pen raised lunkers. Not my thing.... But hey..... if it's all you got.

ft09

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of paperwork for the Fish & Game Dept.
They've been doing it that way for decades, so it's probably a game they are skilled at playing. At an individual park certainly, it would be easy. The tag has to be purchased that day, so a clerk with a pad and a pencil could keep the tallies.

Last I know, the formula was two fish released per daily tag sold. It had been 2.25 and then one of the hatcheries experienced a flood that killed a number of fish.

How they responded was revealing about the system: they lowered the released to 2.0 in the parks and then each park shifted some of its fish to the affected hatchery to keep it going. (I think each park has a hatchery, and there's another that feeds Lake Taneycomo in Branson).

They've done the same thing a couple of other times. I think the two fish thing is still in place.

Assuming that Montauk State Park on the Current River would qualify as a trout park,

A trout park seems quite different from a stocked lake or pond which might get stocked once or twice during the year... looked up Missouri Trout Parks.
It appears they're mostly streams (rather than ponds or lakes) where they stock lots of fish, with sections set aside for different methods of fishing.

Montauk definitely is a trout park. I haven't visited it, but of the four it's the least park-like and least crowded by most accounts. Bennet Spring is the other end of the scale: it's in many portions like a stream going through a large city park, but there are some wilder areas, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: spm

darkshadow

Reaction score
SoCal has a few of those. Well, 'had' as Irvine Lake is now closed.

But it has the infamous "SARL" *Santa Ana River Lakes* which is essentially a cement pond that is stocked with trout during the winter, and catfish during the summer. No license is required, but there is a nice entrance fee.

Definitely not my cup of tea. I'd rather drive a few hours and fish for wild trout, then fish for "Frankenfish" without any fins or tails that fight like a wet sock.

brownbass

Reaction score
SoCal has a few of those. Well, 'had' as Irvine Lake is now closed.

But it has the infamous "SARL" *Santa Ana River Lakes* which is essentially a cement pond that is stocked with trout during the winter, and catfish during the summer. No license is required, but there is a nice entrance fee.

Definitely not my cup of tea. I'd rather drive a few hours and fish for wild trout, then fish for "Frankenfish" without any fins or tails that fight like a wet sock.
No Frankinfish in Missouri. The trout parks serve a purpose. I have fished them and you see a lot of retirees that can't get around as well. One older gentleman wears his wader pants uses his fly rod and his walking stick, which he uses to actually walk, is one of those with the net attached. He never gets in the water over his ankles. Not only that, the parks keep the Hot Dogs in the park stay off my rivers.

Bill

Jeremi414

Reaction score
I have fished Bennett Spring for 30 years. It’s still as fun today as when I was 10. Though I do prefer to fish small wild streams. We are fortunate to have a very nice weekend house near the park. So we fish there a lot. But I like to use it as home base for my fishing multiple streams over several days. As someone already stated, it’s a great place for those that are more mature in age. You do have to put up with some $&@? people on occasion.

JoJer

Reaction score
Most ponds in Idaho get stockers. Your only buy-in is a license. There are some private pay to play lakes with some sort of price per hour/per pound/per fish. Some of the pay lakes can have some really large fish that are quite skilled at not getting caught.
There is a F&G office near me that that has a series of ponds that are either 3 fish limits, C&R trout and C&R bass. Before I moved to flies, I happened to be using a real fish killer for the put and take pond: A 5'UL spin rod loaded with 4 pound test. It could cast half a trout special worm 30+ feet without weight. You could watch trout at the outlet completely ignore a worm with weight attached. But an unweighted worm would cause a gang fight. The C&R trout required low crawling and perfect presentation of a very realistic fly.

Reaction score
I think they are totally fine it's like angler match the hatch. Folks are going to be attracted to all different levels of angling enjoyment and this is just one of them.

I first encountered a Trout park while on a job. The setting was a river and one of the kids brought a rod and reel in hopes of catching their first fish. I was pointed out as the expert fisherman (pressure on) and so the goal was to get this kid a fish. I removed a push button rod and reel from the package that you would buy from a gift shop. Whoopzzzzz the combo was for play fishing. It had a plastic molded fish you were suppose to throw out and reel back. I thought I was off the hook since there were no hooks but the look on the kids face as I tried to explain to her why we can't fish "for real" coupled with mom informing me this is all she talked about on the drive up had me back up on the push pole. Ok the rod works, the reel works, I just need to scramble for some terminal tackle. Scavenger hunt, let's see if we can find a hook on the ground (which was close by). It even had a generous amount of appropriate sized leader attached. Now finding a weight proved to be a challenge. I gave up on finding a weight when I see a crew member with a paper clamp on her notes and she donated it to the cause. I sent the kid to look in the trash cans for some bait specifically a can of corn because I found some newly petrified corn left on the rocks by the river. Check, kid comes running with a can of used corn and a few ants swimming in corn juice.

Here comes the big test. This pay to play area had a nice run and the CFS was great. I put out a cast and let it drift down current and much to my chigrin the binder acted like a flasher. As soon as I put the reel in gear bam, Snoopy rod goes bendo and the fish is wilding all over the place followed by a fluttering note binder. I let the fish settle down and then handed the rod over to the kid and shortly after the first fish ever for her was landed. We went on to easily catch a few more till the binder got caught between some rocks and we lost our rig but it offered a perfect quitting time.

Years later, that little girl is now a young teen and her mom says she still talks about that day catching her first fish.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
This is what I think.

Some fishing is better than no fishing.

Trout parks probably introduce people who wouldn't normally fish to fishing for food.

Eventually, I think some of them will migrate to fishing for fun. So I think as long trout parks are not somehow in someway damaging the environment they are a plus.