Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

Default Re: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

I just went thru a bunch of the wings and skins I had in my garage that were stored...poorly. Way too much meat left on the turkey wing and it was pretty nasty. Same with some goose and duck wings. I did salvage some feathers but a lot of the big stuff close to the elbow was real icky. The turkey skin was stretched-stapled to a piece of ply wood, salted, and set up in the rafters. When I got round to it, I took it off the board and put it in a bag with some borax, it seems fine. I also have a couple of pheasant skins that were bagged with borax and hung up. They're curled but not stinky or buggy.
    I've also got a couple of deer skins stapled to plywood that need my attention. They've been salted, but need more scraping. It was a long day when we brought them home and we got them butchered and wrapped by midnight. I didn't deal with the skins till next day/day after that. They'd dried a bit, so I soaked them in water, then stretched and stapled them, then salted them. When they'd dried pretty well, I took off the red and white with a steel brush in a hand drill, then salted again. Now they need closer trimming and cutting up to storable size pieces.
    My wife's a saint! No hassles there at all. We were married in October, so almost every year since we've been married, I'm hunting on our anniversary. I'll tell you the secret if you want to know.
    Last edited by JoJer; 02-14-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spell check!

Thumbs up Re: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

Hi All.
    Like others I too like Duck Hunting,a friend had an English Pointer which we used for Quail,Snipe,Ducks,Pidgeons,Rabbits& Hares from which I have accumulated heaps of different as well as Road Kills.
    I had finished work one Friday afternoon,I had to drive about 100 miles to where my mother lived when I saw a Peacock lying beside the road,so I did a quick u-turn pulled up threw it in the boot (trunk in the USA) too it to my destination,skinned it,needless to say I'll never be short of Peacock feathers.

Just to chime in here. I also was told by one of my more experience tying friends to be sure and wash them which I have done. It takes a while and with your stash...well it would take a really long time! I think you will be ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by jaiyman View Post
    Just to chime in here. I also was told by one of my more experience tying friends to be sure and wash them which I have done. It takes a while and with your stash...well it would take a really long time! I think you will be ok though.
    Hi.
    I haven't washed them to date except before dying as you can end up with a gluey mess if the water is too hot,the main things as mentioned is to store them without any fatty,oilly substances attached.
    Napthalene is good to keep the bugs out or even a light hit with surface spray works well,I've used cabbage dust as well.
    I've found it's best if they can be left on the skin & dried however like others I have bags of feathers I have plucked from birds,cut from pets,obtained whilst Hunting & Fishing.

5. Default Re: My Brother the Duck Hunter.. Feather Question?

I have been saving skins and pelts for tying for over 10 years. I use borax and moth balls, and have had no problems.

I'd forgotten about Borax as I used it years ago,also with Napthalene,it really worked well,I found Pyrethren Sprays were the best however they are hard to find these days as everything is made from chemicals.
    I have also lightly used Surface sprays as well.

I skin my birds rather than pluck them. I salt them right away and let them sit for a week, then I freeze them for a few days. I've been lucky so far, no unwanted critters.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12