Lesson: Never leave home without a net

Kunibert

Reaction score
Last night I experienced one of those moments that everyone of us has (probably at least once a week!). I went to a spot recommended by my father in-law. He promised beautiful scenery and some big fish.

As it turns out he wasn't lying. The spot was gorgeous and secluded. It's actually part of a river system but for all intents and purposes it's a lake. I tie on a 15 ft. leader with size 12 Prince and 14 Black RHGR as a dropper and start fishing. On my third cast it happens. I slowly retrieve allowing ample time for the nymphs to drop back down. Just as I start pulling line out of the water to begin another cast, there it was: My first thought was 'Great, I'm snagged'. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks: the line moves sideways and my 5 wt. looks like it might crack the fish is pulling so hard.

I could barely keep the rod up, this thing was fighting so hard. Right then another thought hits me, this one not so pleasant: I'm standing in the middle of this lake on a submerged bank with weedbeds all around me and I don't have a net. My only chance was to somehow guide this thing to the shore and beach it. Problem here was that the shore is littered with submerged rocks and logs and as I mentioned weedbeds.

After a good ten minutes my adrenaline is pumping. The fish was getting almost within range and I was getting closer to the shore. For a moment there I thought this was actually going to work. I maneuvered him almost within 3 feet from the bank and that's when it happened: He made a run for a weedbed, the line above the nymph got tangled...and he was gone.....

Adrenaline turned to disappointment and after a moment of silence the woods around me echoed with a four letter word. Had I brought a net, I could have played him on the bank where the obstacles aren't as plentiful and I would have had a better chance of landing him. Lesson learned: If you're going to fish for large fish don't be a fool and leave the net in the trunk.

PS: As a condolence prize I falsehooked a sucker fish on my next cast which at that point seemed like someone was just rubbing it in. "Well, you didn't get that trout that almost broke your 5 wt but here's a sucker fish for your troubles." Gee, thanks....

yatahey

Reaction score
Been there my friend. About two weeks ago I was site fishing Cheeseman Canyon. Here a fish there a fish nothing spectacular. Then I saw it. I thought it was a submerged log that was sitting on the sandy bottom in the middle of a U shaped formation of rocks. After staring at it for about 2 minutes I noticed it moved. The hair stood up on my arms and my eyes got as wide as saucers.
He was about 10 feet off the bank in about 6 feet of water which had me concerned that I'd spook him if I wasn't really careful. I positioned myself another 10 feet down stream and at a 45 degree angle to him and started drifting a weighted cranefly larva and a Barr's Graphic Caddis to him with no indicator. My leader was a tied combination of 4 feet 4x and 5 feet of 5x. The Barr's tied below the cranefly on a 12 inches of 6x tippet.
I didn't count the number of casts I made to that fish, but it had to be over twenty. Several times I snagged on the mossy rocks the fish was nestled in between. I kept thinking he was going to bolt ever time I snagged, but he stayed put. Then, I thought I was snagged again and started to tug on the line when it moved up stream. Game on!
The fish came out of his U shaped sanctuary and took off directly across the river. The river here is about 150' across. Next thing I know I'm looking at white braided backing zipping past my rod tip. Then the thing does an about face and runs full tilt right back at me as I'm reeling like a maniac trying to get line back in. About 2/3 of the way back across the river, toward me he makes a run down river into the current. I'm thinking, OK this is it I'm losing him.
I managed to get my line back on the reel and tight to the fish and the fish starts to languish a little swimming in small circles, so I start working him in. I've got him coming up river and getting him out of the current when I see that the line that was out before I could get it back on the reel is under a big rock 40 feet out in the middle of the river.
I let slack line out hoping the fish would move to the far side again and get the line out from under that rock. Amazing, it worked. The line was free and I could finally get most of the line off the water and work this fish.
Ten minutes later I've worked him to about 10' off the bank and I remember my net is sitting by the rock I ate lunch on. AACK.
Three guys that had just come down to the river were watching the battle and I yelled to them to bring their net. One of them says, "We didn't bring one." I told them to get my net and help me net this beast. So one of them does and now I've got the BIG fish next to the bank, head out of the water and laying on his side. Ready for the net. The guy reaches down to net the fish, slips falls in the river, the fish rolls and bolts. Game over.
Best fun I ever had.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yat and Kunibert: Great stories I loved every second of it! Yes we have all been there done that---left the net home or maybe in the car only to later hook into a nice fish and unable to land it. Lesson learned for sure!

Larry

BlueDun

Reaction score
Whenever I bring a net with me, I get skunked. Nets are anti-mojo for me. :) Fortunately, the fish are small enough where I usually fish that a net is not necessary - and I do not need to touch them to unhook them on my barbless hooks.

james

Reaction score
i need to get a net. i bought a cheap little 9 dollar one and it lasted like like 2 trips...

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Like Larry said, some great stories here. The sort that - decades later - will always come to mind when swapping fish stories over a pint. My greatest "misfortunes" along this line always seem to be where there's never a camera around when I unexpectedly land the big ones. :(

flyfisher117

Reaction score
i should get a net

i should prolly get a net...i usually do just run for shore when i catch a fish but i do fish in steelie infested waters(havent caught one with the 5 wt yet thank god) but i can seee that same thing happening to me

:eek:

deomojo

Reaction score
Dog Day

My no net story involves five pounds of rainbow trout, a swallowed PMD emerger, high runoff and a curious Jack Russell terrier. It was a fine spring evening on the banks of the old Fraser River in the land of the Mighty Upper. No anglers were on the ranch so I decided to take my two dogs for a jump along the river. The water had started to come down and there was a slight promise of cooperating trout on an evening feed.
So five wt in hand I set off on what I thought to be more of a recon mission that an actual fishing expedition. Now I have fished with my lab since she came to live with us several years ago. And after a short explanation of the rules she pretty much hangs on the bank and out of the action, good dog.
The JRT on the other hand came to live with us this winter and didn’t come out fishing with me during the early season. Jack Russell’s are put on this earth to protect humans from all the evil things that we are too busy, on a daily basis to notice, like socks, vacuum cleaners, the neighbor’s cat, and a thousand other things to small and insignificant to be seen by the human eye. I have never laid a hand on this dog but I think it is definitely possible that the first person ever to kick his dog across the room was driven to do so by a JRT. I love that dog.
The first pool I came to I noticed some sort of mayfly shizz brewing along the bank. The best I had in my box was a size 16 PMD emerger tied on a caddis pupa hook. Not a great match, but I didn’t think the fish were looking up anyway. Well I was wrong. On my first drift through I saw a giant mouth suck my fly and about three or four of the naturals off the surface. Color me surprised. My surprise however was nothing when compared to the reaction of my dog when that fish broke the surface and did a tail dance into my backing around the oxbow. Normally I would hate to lose a fish like that but at this point I was praying for a long distance release, no such luck the bow had taken my fly dangerously deep I had to land her and cut her loose. Suddenly I realize I have no net. I do however have a dog, which is only roughly ten pounds heavier than the fish on my line. The dog had apparently heard of the evils perpetrated by Salmonidae on the rest of humanity and charged in head first to rescue us all from this beast. Did I mention high water?
Normally the Fraser runs in the low triple digits it was at flood stage and bustling along at almost four. I am now running down river after trout and dog scrambling over the debris pitched on the bank by the runoff, screaming my head off at the dog. I love fishing it is so peaceful.
Luckily the story has and ending, a happy one even. The dog is blown right by the fish and managed to get out some many yards downstream. I land the fish and cut my line but not before the dog reengaged and tangled himself firmly in my leader. Loss one fly, one furled leader. Gain, the knowledge that you should always bring a net, at least I could have thrown it at my dog.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Those were all great but I like the dog story best.

I always drag king salmon to shore and last year while I was wrestling a 33 pound-er in the streamside alders and really stirring up the mud my German Shepherd jumped into the battle. He was sitting on my boat and when I disappeared into the brush and started thrashing and cussing while trying to subdue the fish he must have thought something had a hold of me. He jumped from the boat, swam to shore and entered the melee barking like wild at the fish. After I got hold of the tail and gained my feet I was able to calm him down. Like deomojo's story it was pretty peaceful. I was covered with mud and fish slime and the dog finally calmed down.

It was a great day!

Ard

yatahey

Reaction score
Deomojo,
Great story. I checked out your blog yesterday. Good stuff there. I'm hoping to get up your way late Sept early Oct. We'll have to fish.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Re: Dog Day

Our river has a rep for some nice fish, that don't come to hand easily. So, I would wrestle them to the shallows and go for the pin. I thought this might be poor form to anyone wandering by. Went and bought a net. A small trout net. The next fish I caught I needed to fold in 1/2 to get it in. So, I purchased a "larger" trout net. A few fish later, I landed a fish you could almost fold in 1/3ds to fit the bigger net. Now I Carry a boat net, and when a client blanks, (yes, it can happen) they think I'm a con-man.
You can't win, but you can go fishing!

deomojo

Reaction score
Glad you all enjoyed the story,
Yatahey ,
The Mighty Upper fishes great in the fall can't wait to see ya.
Tim