What do you do if you can't wet a Line?

Lambster

Reaction score
Hello Anglers

We haven't been able to wet a line in over a month...... we've had alot of rain making it difficult to fish, the water is up and muddy what do you do? It does give you alot of time to set back and tie some flies and check over your gear! My good friend in Wyoming has been catching some very nice fish which is great but most of all he shares the photo's with me which thus allows me to do alot more home work on those area's which we will visit next year in July. Before I visit new waters we like to get as much info on the waters before we make our trip....... alot can be learned before you enter new waters! The internet is most helpful such as this Fly fishing forum and other sites on Wyoming, we thank those for all the great info that has been posted and shared by all memebers on this site! Larry has become a great friend whom I met last year on this site and has been a great fishing buddy and a friend for life.....:D we've made some good friends from alot of states which have given some great info on their states fisheries... may Godbless! and keep all those folks that make fly fishing a great success for our sport in which we Love. Its not always how many large fish you catch or how many you land but just being out on a nice calm day to see the Lords beauty and the wildlife in which he puts in and around our streams.......;)
Lambster

wild trout

Reaction score
When work prevents me from fishing I do alot of the same things as you. I tie, go over equipment, and kill time on forums. I also end up spending more money than I should on stuff I don't need. It's also nice to fish through the eyes of friends on the boards. It's nice to see them catch fish and tell the stories.

WT

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What to do...
Fly fishing related - tie more flies, service reels, build leaders, make shopping list for future trips.

Non fly fishing related - ride the road bike if roads are dry, ride the mountain bike and get muddy, go skiing (winter of course) if the roads are clear, catch up my book collection, the dreaded home improvement.

MP

Jimmie

Reaction score
It seems like I always know where I will be going next so I spend time planning the next trip. I tie, set up fly boxes by swapping flies around, change what's in my vest, plus more. Going again Sept. 8th. Between now and then I'll be reading. Going to listen to Charlie Craven Tue eve on Fly Fishing Internet Radio. Just finished a fly tying class and there is another coming soon. Whoops, I might be too busy to go fishing j/k :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lambster: Thanks for the kind words, can't wait to go fishing with you next July! When I can't fish I like to spend time on the forum and tie flies or read about fishing, or maybe just plan my next fishing trip.

Larry

cromney

Reaction score
Great thread starter Lambster!
I do just about all of the above besides shooting, not that I'm against it, just never got into it. I really enjoy looking at forums and seeing other people having success, especially when they post pictures of the fish, surrounding area(not that I'm trying to hot spot or find your spot), other wildlife etc... There is just so much county out there and I love to see as much as I can through you guys.

Clint

Lambster

Reaction score
Thank you all for all the great comments! Larry you can bet your boots we'll be their in July for some of that Great Wyoming fly fishing! I thank the Good Lord for the time I get to spend on the water and the times we get to fish with quality friends! I've been to alot of fantastic places to fish but Wyoming and Montana plus Colorado seem to be (A ) one streams! Now for the best Tail waters I like the Caney Fork in Tenn. Trophy Brown that pull hard as a mule! Again you guys make this site click and kick!!! Tight Lines to all those who make our sport the greatest! Now shoot those Guns:lol2: Tie those flies:lol2: and make momma Happy!:rolleyes:
Lambster

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
I tye flies, I paddle my kayak back in the marshes, take pictures, shoot the guns, work with Lab, think about flyfishing, read about flyfishing, and cook a little; I have to earn my keep...:D I am drying some tomatos right now, and going to do a little cooking for the freezer. Steelhead season is coming up real fast for me...

Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I tye flies, I paddle my kayak back in the marshes, take pictures, shoot the guns, work with Lab, think about flyfishing, read about flyfishing, and cook a little; I have to earn my keep...:D I am drying some tomatos right now, and going to do a little cooking for the freezer. Steelhead season is coming up real fast for me...

Dan
Dan: Speaking of tomatos, Fysh's wife gave me a half dozen home grown tomatos last weekend, WOW are they good! It doesn't get warm enough in Laramie to grow tomatos outside so getting a chance to eat home grown tomatos is pretty special!

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Lambster,

I'm thinking you live in Georgia, is that correct? If so when the rivers are high have you ventured into The Tearbritches, Ravens Cliff's, or Cohutta Wilderness areas. I lived in Georgia for a couple years and found that if things were too dry or too wet in the flatland a trip out route #2 to where it turns to a tote road was the answer. It takes a bunch of rain to mess up Jacks River to the point where it is unfishable.

I poked around in every stream I could get to out in those mountains. Some yielded only Red Eye but they were fun to catch too. I always thought Mill Creek should have a trout in it but never found one. If nothing else the area gives you a wonderful photographic opportunity. If I found myself really hard pressed there were always Pumpkin Seed to catch at home and some of them got huge.

Here if I can't fish it's usually because I'm busy with a project either at home or at the cabin. We can have prolonged periods of rain due to our proximity to the Aleutian Island's weather patterns, they usually influence our skies. When it rains too much I tie flies or write. When those avenues don't cut it I'll head to the ocean either at Seward or somewhere along the Kenai Peninsula and fish the surf, that can be enjoyable even in a storm.

You do live in Georgia right?

Ard

This was taken on a rainy day at Kachemak Bay;
[/IMG]

kruggy1

Reaction score
If Im not either working babysitting my 1 yr old , or fly fishing/tying, im out hunting when seasons in. I enjoy being in the woods/field as much as in the water, chasing birds with my lab or sitting in a tree waiting for that nice deer.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Right now I got camp cooking on the brain, something that I enjoy just as much as fishing.

There's about 3 dozen of us that have camped out together every Labor Day weekend for 25 years. Recently, we even bought ourselves a piece of land just for the occasion
Over the years we've put together some fine meals for the group
Clam bakes, pig roasts, beanhole beans, campfire smoked turkeys, fire grilled pizza, barbeque of all manner, dutch oven breads and desserts, and a different homemade icecream every night.....
This Saturday after the stuffed french toast breakfast, it will be just about time to start up the fire in the pit for the pig roast. :wavetowel
Drink a couple of happy sodas, play some horseshoes, then 'pig-out'
Sunday night I'll be making a chicken, sausage, and shrimp gumbo.

We have a nice kitchen area set up at our camp.
A 3'x5' cinderblock barbeque pit, a stone oven built into the hillside, and a platform for the dutch ovens.
We plan all year for this.... I love it
I won't even bring a fly rod, I'll be too busy with having fun.

Lambster

Reaction score
Yep! ARD We live in Georgia! Its got some good Trout streams, we've fished all the area's you talked about......... The upper mountain streams are my favorite to flyfish, Upper Little rock creek has some pure strain eastern Brookies as well as Moccasin Creek. Tight Lines!

Lambster

Jackster

Reaction score
If I can't fish I need need to feel the swing of a fly rod in my hands so I go to a park and practice casting. It is way better than hitting a bucket of balls and is far cheaper!
Other than that, I find things around the house to do to help my wife (and earn points), fiddle around cleaning lines and gear and such or just surf the web.