To Much Rain!

Lambster

Reaction score
Here in Georgia we've had way to much rain to fast...... bad runoff has caused some damage to the streams as well as kept alot of fisherman off of the big rivers such as the Toccoa River, Etowah River and the Hooch River. A low pressure with the gulf moisture has put a damper on the fishing......:( this low pressure hasn't moved at all and the rain keeps coming.......... this helps the Lakes but hurts the tailwaters.....! No fishing here for at least 2 weeks pending on the Gulf mositure! Tight Lines!

Lambster:rolleyes:

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Man Alberta could use some rain. Hardly any this year. I think there is one lake around where I live, that I can put my boat in, the launches are all shallow now. I hope it eases up for you folks before things get really bad though.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Lambster,

With the drought that has been going on in George isn't the extra rain a blessing. It is too bad the tailwaters are not fishable but will they benefit from the extra water in the end? I don't know, just asking.

Frank

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I hear ya man, its been like that in Arkansas, last week wasnt bad, but its starting to get that way. If we stay close to the dam we can fish clearer water, but further down it sucks and forget about the free flowing streams and creeks. If it keeps up they will start generating 24/7 to keep the lake down and you can forget about the river then. Oh well, I guess thats the way it goes at times.
Bear

Lambster

Reaction score
Hello Frank! Yes the rain is a blessing but to much can cause destruction that hurts streams with alot of run off which fills in rivers and small streams with sediment........ now it has helped fill up Lake Lanier which was very low but is only 7ft. below full pool, the rest of our lakes are in pretty good shape better then last year! Tight Lines!:icon_mrgr
Lambster

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dang Lambster: Weren't you Georgia boys complaining about the drought last year! We send you some of rain and now your complaining about being wet! LOL!:D

Sorry to hear, but after looking at the ABC weather report on Friday I figured your fishing would be shot! You need to jump on a plane and get out to Wyoming! We were getting hammered in the spring with rain almost constantly but the fall has been great.

Larry

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
Lambster, send some this way. The steelhead are waiting for it around here. So are all the fly fishers.

futuramille

Reaction score
I knew the forcast called for rain but it was the same forcast on Friday and the evening though overcast was nice. My son and I decided to head to Chattooga (north west SC) to Fish Sat. camp and fish Sunday.

the water was up about 6 inches and medium cloudy but with a foot or more of visibility. We setup camp and proceeded to fish. It rained hard on us in short bursts a couple of time through Sat. afternoon but we fished through it. As evening came on, we watched one of the thickest mayfly (size 24 - 26) hatches yet. they were coming off pools along the shore by the thousands. the air was thick with them and the edges of the water had hundreds of mayfly bodies along the shore. It only lasted about 20 minutes and started to die off but then the cadis hatch came and went...not much of one but it happened. Just as we stopped for the evening (not a bite on top but got a couple bows with #18 BH hare's ears) we saw a new hatch I haven't seen. Mayflies in about size 14 - 16. looked like a BWO maybe...

in any case, we fixed dinner and sat by the fire drying our fishing hats and hit the hay around 9:30. the sky opened just as I was thinking of better fishing in the morning...and about midnight I new we were in for a long night but the rain was so heavy that we were stuck. the van parked at Burrells ford parking lot is 350 yards away up a very steep hill. It was all VERY loud with all the rain and then I could hear the river around 3am and started to worry. our camp site is about 7 feet above the normal water level and about 100 feet from the river. about 6:30 it was getting light enough to see but still pouring, we were soaked and water was standing an inch on the ground. as it got lighter I spotted the river and it shifted me into gear. 40 minutes later we were in the van...saved by luck and my choice of a site up and away from the river.

From the site I chose, you can't usually see the river. The river had risen at least 4 maybe 5 feet. the trail along the river and all the river edge camp sites were under a foot of churning water. large trees were going by down the river doing at least 35mph. where normaly pools were, there were two foot rollers.

in John Gierach's book "Death, Taxes, and leaky Waders" he talks about streams flooding and once the flood is gone having the same fish still behind that big rock by the fallen tree and fishing being generally the same. Its puts us (fisherman) off of course but...as long as I learn to leave when the water is as cloudy as it was, heed better the warnings of the weatherman...we will live to fish another day.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good to hear that everything turned out ok, sounds like you were really fortunate to have picked the camp site that you did! From the weather reports on TV it looked like that area got hammered.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos of the Hooch River flooding. Lambster says the Toccoa and the Eyowah are in the same flood stage.

Larry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I saw some pictures on the TV this morning and it is really flooding. One school had water that had reached about 2 feet below the roof line.

Frank

Lambster

Reaction score
The Lower Hooch River will be unfishable for a good long time do to chemicals and trash which has littered the banks....... lower river will not have a DH to fish in the winter months do to the flooding unless it clears out!:( All the years I've fished this part of the river I've never seen so much damage! Trout habitat will take years to rebuild! Upper Mountain streams are getting hammered today making fishing tough, rain fall amounts are around 2 inches with the ground already saturated from last weeks heavy rains could cause more flooding.
Lambster