Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default State Record Brown Trout

Saw this one about a week ago in the local paper and just got a copy of it via North American Fishing Club.

Indiana Angler Catches State Record Brown Trout

DYER, IN—The Indiana Department of Natural Resources announced that it has certified a 29.3-pound Lake Michigan brown trout as a new state record.
    The trout was caught by Glen Duesing of Dyer, Indiana, who says he was fishing near Whiting, Indiana, on April 2 when the fish struck his Smithwick Rogue crankbait.

“Our boat was trolling for coho (salmon), but rough, stained water and wind forced us to try fishing for browns along the power plant wall,” Duesing said. “There was a lot of warm water from the power plant flowing down the wall.”

Duesing says as soon as he felt the fish take his line he told his fishing partners he knew it was a good fish.

“We pulled everything—rods and outriggers—and drifted and fought the fish for 20 minutes,” he said. “We got the fish next to the boat, and when I saw it, I again said, ‘This is a good fish!’”

Duesing’s fish measured 3 feet and 3.75 inches. A tape wrapped around the fish’s belly measured nearly 2 feet (23 inches) of girth.

Because of the brown trout’s large size, Indiana DNR Fisheries Chief Bill James says he suspects the fish was a Seeforellen strain of brown trout stocked in Lake Michigan by the Wisconsin DNR. Seeforellen browns are native to alpine lakes in Europe, where they’re noted for their large size and long life spans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: State Record Brown Trout

Quote Originally Posted by freeze69
    fishing for browns along the power plant wall,” Duesing said.
    Sounds like the fish was Blinky's second cousin. Those power plants produce more than just electricity you know.
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"
    Henry David Thoreau

3. Default Re: State Record Brown Trout

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight
    Sounds like the fish was Blinky's second cousin. Those power plants produce more than just electricity you know.
    I fished along that area years ago on foot and had dynamite luck. The thing is there attracted to the warm water and the bait fish. Always had good luck around there.

Never saw no Simpsons Fish Though.

4. Default Re: State Record Brown Trout

i'm not sure if i would even want to catch a fish that big....sounds odd but i love small eastern streams with 15-20 inch fish.............call me crazy
    rabbit fur dubbing- $3.99

peacock hackle- $4.99

catching a fish on your own fly- priceless