fished today and got 1 steelie

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
caught my smallest steelie ever today. it was 18 inches long. it still put up a decent fight tho. I was usin a black wooly bugger. steelies were busting some minnows all day long but no hits on any minnow patterns?? in some spots minnows were so thick I was snagging them left and right!! not bad tho I will get out there again monday prolly.

Reactions: Ard

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
the spot i was fishing is deep with a slow slow flow with a huge tree blocking the flow and all so when u try to swing it doesn't really swing that good. in this spot the bank on the other side of the river is all undercut and eroded away and theres some nice spots where they like to sit out of the current and ambush stuff that swims or drifts past.. so basically I just casted up against the bank, drift by those cuts and let it sink a lil bit and strip pause strip pause it torwards me and watch my fly line for a strike. seems this fish ambushed the fly right as it came past his lil hole or cut or whatever u call it..

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
George-

That's a great looking fish- a real chunk with a fast growth rate. I've never seen them smashing minnows like that- it must have been pretty neat.

Is that you're first steel of the season?

mark

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
this is my 3rd fish of the season. matching my all time high for fall catches! spring is easy compared to this! been at it 3 seasons so far. 1st season 0 in the fall, 6 in the spring!!! 2nd season 3 in the fall and like 40 in the spring and now I am at 3 for this fall and as long as the river doesn't freeze I should get more hopefully!!! I sucked at it at 1st when i started but now I know where the fish like to hold so I am catching on! as for my 3 catches this fall. they are all are posted in this coldwater section here. I can't wait to get back out! prolly go monday! hundreds of minnows jumpin for there lives is a site to see! I am not even sure if they are eating the minnows or if the minnows are so stacked the fish swims around and they just jump in the air. at least its a good indicator theres fish around tho! I tossed clousers and white buggers at the minnow chasing fish and not one bite. I guess with 1,000's of offerings mixed with your fly its like playing the powerball lottery or sumthing! the one I caught was farther upstream from where all the minnows are stacked.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
G,

I just wondered because of where the hook was set. It looks like a come from behind (stripping or hang down) hookup not an on the swing set.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya the way I casted and the way the spot is it for sure took it from behind the fly. makes sense too. I will try to remember to take a pic of this hole next time so I can show ya how they come out from the edge of that bank to ambush the flies. caught 2 of my 3 from the same spot this year.