Spring Fishing at Bennett Spring and Maramec Spring in MO

Reaction score
Didn't know if this post would work better here or in another sections. Move it if necessary.

Need a list of good flies to tie for the trip in the first week of April. Starting early so I can purchase the materials from Bass Pro with the Gift Cards I received for gifts this holiday.

Any advice (besides ask the local fly shop) would be appreciated, especially from those who fish those locales frequently.

Also posted on Yahoo Answers if you're on there:
Tying flies Spring Break trip to Bennett Spring and Maramec Spring in MO? - Yahoo! Answers

fish_gypsy

Reaction score
Expect a crowd.

Dries- Elk hair caddis (tan and olive, #14-16), Griffith's gnat, small (18-20) parachute adams, crackleback (14-16). May want to throw in some BWO's, Hendricksons, and Cahills just in case.

Nymphs- Pheasant tail Nymph (#14-20), Caddis larvae and pupae(#14-20), Pat's Rubberleg Stonefly (#4-8), Prince Nymph/Zug Bug (#10-16), scuds, San Juan Worms, egg patterns.

Streamers- Wooly bugger- black, ginger, olive (#6-10), Mohair Leech- olive and ginger (#6-10), Crayfish patterns in sizes 6 and 8.

That should round you out.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

It will be cool to go back to Bennett Spring where I first saw real fly fishing in action (my dad always took the fly rod to the lake, but you couldn't call what he did real fly fishing, more like fly flopping or something).

Just wondering why you didn't mention terrestrials. Last year the local fly shop was sold out of black foam beetles, which they were apparently feeding the trout at the time. Any recommendations there?

quackhead35

Reaction score
I would first pick which park you want to go to. Bennett is a good hour and ahalf or so drive from the mac if I remember correctly. Now Montauk is about 20 miles south from Mac. I have a few buddies that fish all of them and Mac and Montauk are their favorite spots. Bennett gets pounded hard in the summer season from what everyone says.

I have only fished at Maramec as I am new to trout, and i've only fished in the Catch and release winter season going on right now. But from what I have learned from the local shop and my buddies always carry some small BWO, Hares ears, and a few nymphs and dries in 18-22's as they still are good patterns for summer. I'm not sure on the terrestrials are good for april.

fish_gypsy

Reaction score
flyfishnflowers;77453 Just wondering why you didn't mention terrestrials. Last year the local fly shop was sold out of black foam beetles said:
Not sure, haven't fished Bennett much in April. That time of year though Box Elder bugs are out along streambank vegetation doing the nasty, and I'd imagine they plop into the stream and trout key in on them. A black or iridescent green foam beetle in #14 would work.

Tom

ahighlan

Reaction score
A fellow Hoosier. I'm originally from Angola, not far from you.

I fished the Current River from the Baptist Camp access back in late November. It might be an option if the parks are crowded. I think from Baptist Camp you could walk a bit and avoid crowds. It is just below Montauk. I enjoyed my limited time there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on Montauk and the Current River.

Last year Bennett wasn't too crowded when we went, but, if I remember right, it was closer to the middle of the summer. I don't like the idea of fishing shoulder to shoulder with other fly anglers, because I'm definitely not a master caster.

We'll just have to play it by ear. The people at the fly shop right up the road (the name leaves me at the moment) are very friendly in person and on the phone, so we can give them a call and see how crowded it is or is becoming.

crittergetter

Reaction score
Stop at Weavers and Larry's just outside of the park. April about anything will work. You will have to figure the water conditions when you get there. This last year top water was almost null and void.

WollyBuggers, crackle backs...
Micro Jigs like John Deer, Bead Spreads, and Brown Roaches work well all the time.

I use doubles all the time. Flashback hares ears followed by zebra's or copper johns #20's works well as well.

Below the dam seams to work well this year. Spring was horrible. I don't understand why either.

Good luck. Also there are several posts on this site about Bennett and Merimac

Critter

luked

Reaction score
Im sure glad to see this thread....i am jsut starting over again fly fishing and working on getting gear and so on and hearing of patterns on Bennet Springs has been a huge help....that was the first place i have really went fly fishing at and im excited to go again...hopefully ill get down there soon since its only bout a little over an hour from my house to the park...hopefully i can get out and fish some here soon

Reaction score
Bennett Springs is where I saw real fly fishing for the first time. The graceful stuff, not the stuff I saw some guys doing around a lake when I was smaller and went fishing with dad. The pure grace and rhythmical movement was just captivating. Still working on the grace and elegance part, but I'm catching the occasional fish. They must feel sorry for me :)

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Before you go to Bennett Spring I suggest you check out the Fishing Report that is available online (see the link below) from Weaver's Tackle. This has always been a decent fishing report with the exception that the list of "what's hot" (flies) does not seem to change much from week to week.

Bennett Spring State Park Fishing Report

Weaver's has changed hands over the winter. Jerry and Brenda have retired and sold Weaver's to a new couple so the fishing report will probably change a little bit - hopefully all changes will be improvements.

Last, but not least, there were a lot of days in 2009 where the park was not fishable, or the fishing was very poor due to recurring flooding. I also recommend that you check out the water level before you come down - might avoid a trip for nothing if the stream is flooded. You can check the water level real-time at the following link to the USGS Water Resource website.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06923500 Bennett Spring at Bennett Springs, MO

Good luck!

crittergetter

Reaction score
Please add this link.

Weaver's Tackle Store

These are the new owners. I hope they continue to update the report like Brenda and Larry.

Larry gave me lots of tips and ideas. He told me about the Bar Clay access and where to fish. I had one of my best brown trout day's down at Bar Clay.

CritterGetter

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

PS... I ment to say Jerry not Larry.. I have learned a bunch from Larry as well. I hit post to soon

Rember Missouri Opening Day is getting closer. We all need to be down there so Spring will happen. It isn't about the fishing it is all about the thousands of Missourians having a great tailgate party. And just like Ground Hog day.. we need to make spring happen so real fishing happens. :D