Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rod?

Default new rod?

im really thinking about getting a new rod within the next few weeks but i just cant decided on what i want size wise. right now i fish with a 8' 4 wt, so i was thinking about either a 9', 9'6" or a 10' in either a 4 or 5 wt rod. i fish subsurface 99% of the time. Im really thinking about a 10' 4 wt but im just worried that it will be to much rod, any suggestions or help would be great

2. Default Re: new rod?

What kind of water do you fish?

Default Re: new rod?

I'm a 9ft 4wt fan myself have used those on tailwaters and small streams everywhere i have fished from east to west. Now my question is i have all brands of rods in 4 wt and am thinking of purchasing another but cant decide between G-Loomis Streamdance GLX 9' 4wt or a Sage Z-Axis 9' 4wt. i have never owned a loomis rod but have most others including Sage,Orvis,Redington and a old Cortland. any one got any thoughts on these or have fished both rods

Quote Originally Posted by thenextlevel View Post
    What kind of water do you fish?
    most of the water that i fish is about 50 ft wide or less, but there are a few creeks that i fish that are bigger....i just want a little longer rod for nymphing but still something that i can put a dry fly or a streamer on if i wanted to
    Last edited by attackone; 04-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by attackone View Post
    im really thinking about getting a new rod within the next few weeks but i just cant decided on what i want size wise. right now i fish with a 8' 4 wt, so i was thinking about either a 9', 9'6" or a 10' in either a 4 or 5 wt rod. i fish subsurface 99% of the time. Im really thinking about a 10' 4 wt but im just worried that it will be to much rod, any suggestions or help would be great
    most of the water that i fish is about 50 ft wide or less, but there are a few creeks that i fish that are bigger....i just want a little longer rod for nymphing but still something that i can put a dry fly or a stream on if i wanted to
    A 10 foot 4 or 5 weight would be a fine stick for what you want to fish. It won't be too much rod for what you want to accomplish. The only difference between the 4 and 5 weight rods will be the payloads you want to throw. I'm sure you can figure that out.

Check out the Greys Streamflex rods. They are fun rods to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by stimulator View Post
    I'm a 9ft 4wt fan myself have used those on tailwaters and small streams everywhere i have fished from east to west. Now my question is i have all brands of rods in 4 wt and am thinking of purchasing another but cant decide between G-Loomis Streamdance GLX 9' 4wt or a Sage Z-Axis 9' 4wt. i have never owned a loomis rod but have most others including Sage, Orvis, Redington, and a old Cortland. any one got any thoughts on these or have fished both rods.
    Both the Loomis and Z-Axis are fast rods. They are fine rods to cast, but I prefer the softer tip on the Z-Axis for my style of casting. I have not fished the Loomis, and I am not sure if I have fished the Z-Axis. If the 4 weight Z-Axis is anything like the 5 weight that I own, it will cast well at a variety of distances accurately. The softer tip will help present dries nicely.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    A 10 foot 4 or 5 weight would be a fine stick for what you want to fish. It won't be too much rod for what you want to accomplish. The only difference between the 4 and 5 weight rods will be the payloads you want to throw. I'm sure you can figure that out.

Check out the Greys Streamflex rods. They are fun rods to fish.
    thanks for the help, the streamflex is alittle out of my price range, im either going to get the cortland brookie in ia 4 wt or the tfo lefty pro in a 5 wt

Blog Entries

thanks for the help, the streamflex is alittle out of my price range, im either going to get the cortland brookie in ia 4 wt or the tfo lefty pro in a 5 wt
    You are very welcome. Both rods are good choices.

Dennis

Blog Entries

I've got 10' 4wt Brook I use with a dt4 and a silk dt3...it's a very pleasant rod to cast,I lent it to a friend two weeks ago and he really enjoyed it too with the silk line(I fell down and broke the butt section...they sent me a new one and only charged shipping).You can fish for hours without being tired...Just ordered a Streamflex 10' 5 wt...many people love it ...should tell what I think about it in a few weeks.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
    I've got 10' 4wt Brook I use with a dt4 and a silk dt3...it's a very pleasant rod to cast,I lent it to a friend two weeks ago and he really enjoyed it too with the silk line(I fell down and broke the butt section...they sent me a new one and only charged shipping).You can fish for hours without being tired...Just ordered a Streamflex 10' 5 wt...many people love it ...should tell what I think about it in a few weeks.
    the Streamflex is discontinued(now it's the XF2) so you may find good deals
    a friend of mine found one for $120.

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Both the Loomis and Z-Axis are fast rods. They are fine rods to cast, but I prefer the softer tip on the Z-Axis for my style of casting. I have
    thanks i like the Sage i have and have heard they are better tham the Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by stimulator2 View Post
    thanks i like the Sage i have and have heard they are better tham the Loomis
    You'll not know until you cast both. Opinions on rods vary by the number of posters to this forum. What ultimately matters is how you like it, not me or anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast