Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default split shot or sink tips

I am new to trout fishing and I am curious should I be using split shot to get the nymph down near the bottom of a pool thats about 3-4 ft deep or should I should use some t14 as a sink tip? most of the streams I am attempting to fish are small (20ft across or less) and vary from a 1-4ft deep fairly fast moving.

I spent most of my days fly fishing for bass, pans, and pickeral so this stream business is all new.

What about using an indicator?

Thanks in advance
    Cidme

Default Re: split shot or sink tips

hi cidme,

I like to use poly leaders. they come in different lengths and sinking speeds. they are cheaper than sink tips. You can also chop em up because they are kind of long.

3. Default Re: split shot or sink tips

i always just use split shot for the steelhead around here. 1 or 2 bb sized gets um down to the level I need to be at. 2-5ft.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Blog Entries

Close in and personal or dead drift ---> Indo/split or putty/nymph rig
    Medium distance to long distance ---> Sink tip

That doesn't mean that it can't be done. I have used a 3 foot section of T-14 connected to a floating line. The leader was 3 feet of 8 pound test connected to the braided loop on the T-14. It is a tested way to fish that works. The modern way that this technique is done with the use of short Polyleaders in the heaviest density.

There is a saying. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

MP

Mosca, whats is putty/nymph mean??

george do you spread the shot out or put them next to each other? can you explain how I should be setting up a 9ft leader for fishing under an indicator? How far up from the fly should the shot be? How far from the shot to the indicator. things like that.

Thanks

Hi cidme,

Here you go.

Frank

Orvis Tungsten Sink Putty

Blog Entries

Indo/split or putty/nymph rig

Frank identified the putty. I rarely use split shot anymore. I have switched to using tungsten putty instead. It is denser than lead and is environmentally safe. Plus it won't damage a leader like crimped split shot will.

MP

8. Default Re: split shot or sink tips

Quote Originally Posted by cidme View Post
    Mosca, whats is putty/nymph mean??

george do you spread the shot out or put them next to each other? can you explain how I should be setting up a 9ft leader for fishing under an indicator? How far up from the fly should the shot be? How far from the shot to the indicator. things like that.

Thanks
    I am by no means a pro at indicator fishing. I usually fish streamer patterns or when I do use eggs or nymph patterns and split shots I fish for steelhead. If I use a indicator it in deeper water (3ft-6ft) I just put the shot like 15 inches above the fly. if I need more than 1 then I add another maybe 2-3 inches above that or so forth then I adjust the indicator so the fly is bouncing/ticking the bottom but not dragging or snagging the bottom. I just use 1 or 3 bb size shot cause the steelies here aren't too picky in my opinion. my buddy uses smaller shot tho and bacially does what I do and spreads the shot out every 2 or 3 inches about 15 inches above the fly and adjust his indi to the depth of the river. I like to use no indicator and just high stick nymph it instead. I watch the tip of my fly line and use that as my indicator
    Last edited by GeorgeMcFly; 04-14-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.