Helping Hand Tailing Glove

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
been using Kruggys Mayfly Mitt and it makes landing steel a breeze! Well they wanted $19.99 plus 8 dollars ship for the thing!!! Instead I Got the Helping Hand from"The Fly Shop" I will say its no mayfly mitt but it will get the job done fo sho!! lanyard wasn't included so I made one myself out of a jager keychain hehe! :D here is the pics of it. worth 10 bux yes maybe.... but the 6 bux too ship here seems a lil crazy to me! kind of a rip off if you look at it really but oh well as long as I can grab and land a huge steelie quicker so I can release it on its way it will be worth every penny. keep ya posted cause I am gonna go test it out asap!!!!

Jackster

Reaction score
George... I've been using a Michigan Mitt for a number of years now. I think it is the original modern mitt made for fishing. The nylon collar keeps the thing nice and open so it is a breeze to put on when needed.

Here's a link: Michigan River Works LLC - Michigan Mit

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi McFly and Jackster,

I think this was discussed before but I wonder how much slime you remove from the tail where you grip the fish? I know the material is soft but doesn't it give you too good of a grip. I guess if you are harvesting the fish it would not be a problem. I am not sure it would be a good thing on wild fish that are released. I don't know, just asking.

Frank

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
Hi McFly and Jackster,

I think this was discussed before but I wonder how much slime you remove from the tail where you grip the fish? I know the material is soft but doesn't it give you too good of a grip. I guess if you are harvesting the fish it would not be a problem. I am not sure it would be a good thing on wild fish that are released. I don't know, just asking.

Frank
It says its made for salmonoids? I figured it was safe for them. I usually have to beach the fish on the shallow waters then run up to it and it flops around like hell till you can finally get the hook out with forcepts then if you want pictures its even more trouble trying to hold it up and not drop it when it squirms. these fish are full of power and hard to hold and land. trust me. . I like this glove tho because I beach the fish like usual and run up and quickly grab it by the tail and hold it down take the hook out and even hold it for a picture without dropping then I can set it in the water revive it and send on its way. noticed it takes half the time to land and release the fish this way. does it remove slime? prolly some slime but not as bad as letting flop around and beat itself up. these fish are stocked and the spot I fished can be hammered sometimes. I am usually pulling flies and stuff off of these fish and I am sure they go through a helluva alot more trouble than this net glove. idk about wild trout tho. I prolly use a small net and keep it in the water and release it

Jackster

Reaction score
Frank, I also only use the mitt for larger fish like steelhead and salmon.
Being the same material as good nets, I can't help but think there isn't much difference between the mitt and the tried-and-trued net in slime removal.
I do know that I and others I've watched use a net much like the mitt once the fish is in the net and it's time to remove the hook or hold the fish in current to be revived.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya its made out of the same material as my trout measure net is. nylon mesh. I think its safer than the other nets.

Bigfly

Reaction score
George, I prefer not to handle our finny brothers/sisters at all.
I think a net would be far better than a beach to land fish. (No beached fish pictures either please.)
The rubber/silicone nets are the only nets that are really "fish freindly". Clear is best, they don't spook at the net. I threw away my nylon net a few years ago.
As a guide I use an oversize net "play pen" for them, and leave them in the water. Then, take the net down and away.
Plus, you don't have to tire them as much as when we bring them to hand.
Give them the love!!!!

Jim