Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Strange Steelie...

Went to the Rocky yesterday with some friends and had a great day of fishing; any day fishing is great... Somewhat tough conditions with the rain we had dirtying up the river. Now to the strange Steelie; I hooked him on an egg pattern and he put up a great fight. As I was bringing him in I noticed his bottom jaw was wide open, kind of looked like the lip on a Rapala.
    When I landed him I was looking him over and he never moved the bottom jaw; it was locked open. I removed the hook and tried to gently close it, but it was locked in that position. I don't know how long he had been in that condition, but it sure didn't seem to affect him; other then the locked jaw he was a good healthy looking fish of about 6 pounds...If my buddy sends the pics I'll post it later.

Dan

Default Re: Strange Steelie...

Hmmmmm strange..... I can't wait to see the pic.

Blog Entries

Wow, that does sound strange, I'm looking forward to seeing your photo!

Larry

4. Default Re: Strange Steelie...

seen this also. here is a pic of kruggy's open jaw. he took it to mount it cause the jaw was open. I have caught steel this way also tho and just released them. I believe when they are young they are rip lipped by some bill dance wannabe and it breaks there jaw. either that or when they are spawning another male kicks there butts and grabs the jaw and tears it??
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

I know juveniles can get there jaw and face banged up pretty good in the holding tanks... if it's a hatchery fish anyways. They smack into the walls when trying to run from osprey and such. My buddy caught one with a rounded, blunt nose and it's jaw stuck out a couple inches past the end of its face. It was strange looking... might be something similar.

6. Default Re: Strange Steelie...

these are stocked fish. thats prolly the reason! here is a mutant my cousin caught once just like you explain. all the blood is coming from its eye socket that was missing a eye but it was not my cousins fault he just fought it like normal and it started bleeding after it flopped around some looks like it was beat to hell before he caught it. trust me this was one beat fish let me tell you and the worst I've ever seen caught. my cousin wouldn't even pick it up haha. it still swam away like a champ! these fish are tough for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
    seen this also. here is a pic of kruggy's open jaw. he took it to mount it cause the jaw was open. I have caught steel this way also tho and just released them. I believe when they are young they are rip lipped by some bill dance wannabe and it breaks there jaw. either that or when they are spawning another male kicks there butts and grabs the jaw and tears it??
    Sorry, no pic yet...The jaw on the Steelie I mentioned was down even farther then this one; the best visual I can give is think of the diving lip on a standard Rapala. Other then the Rapala jaw the fish seemed to be in great shape.

Dan

8. Default Re: Strange Steelie...

ya these fish are strong. would take alot of abuse to kill one I say.lifting the fish by the gills and messing those up would be the number 1 killer on a steelie before dropping it on the ground or foul hooking or removing some slime or it having wounds like a broken jaw or missing eye or lamprey wounds. Even caught a fish with a swallowed hook and line comin out its mouth. I just released it cause I couldn't get the hook out without killing or harming the fish. It swam away like nothing.

Wow those are some interesting looking fish for sure