fly line?

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
so just gonna buy some new fly line to go on my new reel. so if you had one line to do it all, nymph, dry, streamers, still water, warm water what would you get? looking to spend probably no more than 40 bucks if you wanna specify on brands.

i would probably nymph fish 80% of the time and dry/streamers the other 20% and i would only go to warm water or still water once in a blue moon.

mtbrider405

Reaction score
I have 5, 6, 8, and 9 wt of Allen Fly Co fly line. I love this stuff! It is very limber, casts great and shoots great as well. Best part? Its $22! Its a standard weight forward taper so it may not be the best for dry flies, but I do it and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Jason

JoJer

Reaction score
I was amazed at the difference the higher quality lines made in my casting etc. when I finally upgraded from the cheaper stuff. I've always told folks since then to spend the money if you can and buy a higher quality line.
You really should look at the Allen fly lines. You can have the higher quality without the cost.
As far as line type, I'm partial to double tapers. I think I cast them as well as I cast WF's and I get twice the life by turning them around.

mtbrider405

Reaction score
Great point about being able to turn it around.

Still IMO, for the money, nothing beats Allen. I can buy 3 spools of allen for one "Premium" name brand spool. Plus Allen stuff is just plain cool :)

-Jason

ant

Reaction score
So far I've like the DT Cortland Sylk ($55) line the best, but I will admit that I have yet to try the Allen line. Those Sylk lines are smooth like butter.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've heard great things about the Allen lines, but haven't tried one yet myself.

The best value I know of is SA's Mastery Headstart. (You'll notice its about $30 cheaper than all the others in the Mastery series. Its a "gateway drug" to the realm of good lines.)