It's official, runoff started today

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
Temps in the 70's (finally) with at least a day or two of more to come. Flows doubled today on the Colorado, Eagle, and Roaring Fork. Dark coffee color will turn to coffee with cream tomorrow.

No turning back now. Even if it turns colder, flows may drop but the off color is here to stay until early June, maybe later with the snow pack we have this year.

No complaints, though, I got in four nice days of pre-runoff fishing this spring and never had to open a pack of hand warmers.

Chris

passmos

Reaction score
I'm looking at coming that way in June/early July and I'm trying to pick which week. how long you you think the run off will last this year?

rrarods

Reaction score
I hope your right! The snow pack this year has been crazy! I'm a skier and wow was it fantastic. Actually skiied Jones pass last Sat with a foot of fresh! Kind of resigned that I will be fishing local water and ponds by my house for the next few months!

dhayden

Reaction score
There was really good fishing this spring.

Now, everything is high (if not flooding) and muddy, which is normal for this time of year, but it's predicted to be high for longer than normal... maybe late June? Who knows.. lol

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
Planned on fishing around Eagle on the 3rd. Guess the Eagle River is going to be too high?
Third of what? June? Forget it this year. Third of July looks iffy this year. It's not that it's too high, it's that it's too muddy.

Most Colorado watersheds are still 120% of peak snowpack (which normally occurs around April 1) and over 200% of normal for this date.

It's worse in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

Chris

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Third of what? June? Forget it this year. Third of July looks iffy this year. It's not that it's too high, it's that it's too muddy.

Most Colorado watersheds are still 120% of peak snowpack (which normally occurs around April 1) and over 200% of normal for this date.

It's worse in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

Chris
Unfortunately, no. Next Friday.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
OK, you guys have piqued my interest. After my bike ride tomorrow, I will drive above Milk and Alkali creeks at Wolcott and report on clarity.

Chris

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
It's official. Runoff in Colorado peaked June 30 or thereabouts. Flows will drop steadily regardless of rain.

Just about everything will be in shape in two weeks.

Biggest runoff in my 18 years in Colorado.

It could be worse. We could be in Montana.

Chris