If you were designing a Trout stream what would it be like?

Lambster

Reaction score
I've been alot of wonderful streams all over the United States but often wondered why Anglers would pick a certain stream, for what reasons which would bring them back and back to the same stream. If you the Angler could pick out or design your stream what would you put in or what kind of makeup would you use to make it your stream?

I look back over the 35yrs. of my fishing state to state and I'f I were to design a stream to my exspectations this is what it would look like........

A good sound bed of mixed gravels, medium river rock.....without the slickness so you wouldn't fall so much....... medium but not to steep a gradient so you could wade safer....... alot of deep pockests and riffle water with soft water along the edges...... good tree cover to Keep the hot sun off me so I can enjoy the day..... good stream habitat with alot of great bug hatches....... and a good assortment of good sized trout....lets say 17 inches or better!:fishing: I thank the good Lord for all the wonderful streams I've been on and for the nice friends that I've met through the years! Godbless! Tight Lines!
Lambster

Rip Tide

Reaction score
....about 30' in width with a riffle/pool/riffle/pool configuration and plenty of armchair sized rocks and a gravel bed .
tall hemlocks and mountain laural along the banks
an abundance of wild brook trout

:fishing:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys have pretty much summed up the perfect stream, I could only add that it be either big enough for floating or in a state where you can wade below the high water mark without worrying about private access issues.

Larry

colotrout

Reaction score
Given my rookie status, I haven't been around much, but my wish would be for a algae-free river, the one on that picture, yea, perfect! that one with no algae. Where about is that river anyway??

Auntie Em

Reaction score
I could tell you, but if I did ...well, you know what I'd have to do!!;)

<It's up in the Snowy Range.>

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Even though I fish big water mostly, my first love goes to smaller streams. I think that all of you got all the bases covered except for one thing. I do not wish to throw anything smaller than a size 18 dry fly. Is that too much to ask for?

MP

jmcg

Reaction score
Hello folks--thought I'd make this my first post.
The title caught my attention.

I love back woods small streams and the searching of them.
This one is nice. The water is still pretty high being early spring.
It is fed by several springs.

oregonism

Reaction score
My favorite stream I've ever fished had deep plunges and pools, roughly 10-15ft wide for the most part, but it opened up at one point that we backpacked into. It was probably 30 feet wide, with good sized boulders sticking out of 2-3ft of gravel bed spaced out about 10 feet apart. You could cast a #18-16 dry behind the boulders and get a bite before your fly floated out of the pocket. It even had a nice grassy bank and we were camped literally 15 feet from the creek. It was in the Beartooth mountains in Montana and was surrounded by wildlife.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Mine would have to be a slow-moving, limestone spring-creek. Weedy bottom, full of all kinds of insect and bug life, especially scuds and mayflies, and a resident population of big, bad Brown trout.

Oh, wait, I already have that almost in my backyard here in southeast Idaho:

Life is sweet...:thumbsupu

kelly.

cketh

Reaction score
It's already been made. I've fished the letort my whole life and it's still a challenge.