Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1,059
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    While I'm decidedly new to fly fishing, whenever I pass a stream, I have always found myself wondering if there were fish, usually trout, inhabiting it. When I was little it was always that way, and to this day, my fiancee has to drag me on whenever we pass any waterway. Is there any particular way to know if a given waterway holds fish, besides fishing it? It doesn't help that trout are amazing at disappearing even when very close by...
    We would get along very well in person then. I have a terrible infatuation with water and small creeks. i just have to go into them. I am always in them, looking for them, my wife thinks im nuts ( well she usually is right ). Good things to look for off the bat is habitat. is there enough water to support fish, is there structure? is there stream flow? sometimes these things make take more then one visit to find out. I usually just end up fishing the stream reguardless, if nothing else it gets me out of the house and exploring. I have found some nice streams just off hunches. Another key thing to look for is insect life. look for spider webs and see what is caught in them, turn over rocks etc etc. if you find critters, chances are something that eats them is in there.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

2. Likes antiqueblonde liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks Geoff. I assume most the creeks that flow out toward Ontario hold them, this spring I'm going to have to just start picking out streams with google maps and taking days to check them out (in the WNY area). In Sweden this summer, that may be a bit more difficult, but I'll just make sure to always have my waders, gear, and a rod with me...
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

Had a bright, shiny new license that needed to be justified, and a bright, shiny new/old fly rod that needed to be slimed, so I went a fishin'. I say new/old because it's a replacement Sage DS2 from 1998. First cast. milt.

Blog Entries

Very nice Milt! I'm after a license tomorrow and doing a tailwater someplace next week...I hear there are little steelhead possible.

-Mike

Blog Entries

Pretty good first cast with the new stick I'd say. I haven't gotten the new tag yet here but don't expect to need it for a while

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Mike, maybe Ard can send some of those winter storms our way, we could use some snowpack and the steelies need rain! I must say Ard, it was a little strange seeing that old battered reel paired with the perfectly clean cork and unmarked reelseat of the new rod. The old rod broke just below the ferrule joint last year, and I included it in your Broken Rod Poll. milt.

Blog Entries

With ol' man winter finally showing up in the lower 48, I thought I'd post a pic from last year. milt.

Blog Entries

great stuff milt! nice first cast on the new sage

casey

ARFE

Lovely thread this. You have beautiful small streams in the US.

I had a nice experiance in a small stream today. However I'll post the story tomorrow with pictures, i dont have an SD card reader at home for my new camera, bah.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast