northern california

hakujinmike

Reaction score
Although it's 4-5 hours for me to get there, I'd have to say that the Upper Sac is my favorite water. Great fishing, different kinds of water, great atmoshphere/environment (year round fishing) and great access.

I try to get up there at least once a quarter...

handtie

Reaction score
"Deer creek" a little east of Chico on hwy 32.

"Feather river" in the canyon of hwy 70 on the back side of the caribou camp grounds (roughly 5 miles back). About 1 or 2 miles past the "Beldon Town". Nice little road but not heavily traveled and back pretty far is almost never fished :)

"Susanville river" Not fished there yet but supposed to hold some very nice browns.

"Feather River" in Oroville CA at the "Bed Rock Park". Can't keep and barbless year round but beatiful rainbows!

And 1 more that is very hard to fish but has huge German Browns, Rainbows, Stripers, Small/large Bass etc in a slightly fast moving water that comes down from a tourbine. That is just below the Oroville DAM. If you get on top of the dam and look to the West you can see the water rushing down from the tourbines. The fish get sucked in and chopped up and fed to the fish below. This makes it hard to get'em to hit anything but when you do... settle in for a fight!

if you guys need maps/directions I will write 'em up for you :)

Oh by the way.. Keep those spots to yourselves :wink:

ZGreenlee

Reaction score
Hat creek. Access sucks, but it's worth the trouble. I usually fish more in Central California, if you live from Sacramento to Fresno I have lot's of favorites.

zerolimit

Reaction score
I live in the Sacramento area. This American is an after work locale but not the most productive fishery. There are so many places to fish, it really depends on how far of a drive you are willing to take. I would also divide the list between drift boat and wading fisheries. I don't have a boat. Let's see.... I'll eliminate those already mentioned except to say I love the Upper Sac and recommend a trip to the McCloud while you are up there.

Western Slope, relatively close to Sac:

I like the Truckee but this one takes some time to learn. Have to pay your dues.

The American River drainage (wild trout section) above Folsom Lake requires some hiking to get down to good spots but can be good.

The North Yuba above Englebrieght in the Downieville Area is a fun river to fish.

Moving South, the Upper Stanislaus and Kern Rivers.

North and West, the Russian River... and everyone know about Putah Creek.

On the Eastern Slope in the Tahoe region there are so many choices but I've enjoyed the East Carson and West Walker.

There are two others that I would rather not mention due to lurkers but would be happy to share with forumites via PM.

Then there is stillwater..... another thread.

I have more fisheries on my Norcal list of places to go than I have time.

zerolimit

Reaction score
Just noticed you live in Lassen County. You've got at least a half dozen great fisheries that I haven't visited yet in your neck of the woods. You live in trout country. The Fall, the Pit being on the top of my hit list.

wlschindler

Reaction score
I live in the Sacramento area. This American is an after work locale but not the most productive fishery. There are so many places to fish, it really depends on how far of a drive you are willing to take. I would also divide the list between drift boat and wading fisheries. I don't have a boat. Let's see.... I'll eliminate those already mentioned except to say I love the Upper Sac and recommend a trip to the McCloud while you are up there.

Western Slope, relatively close to Sac:

I like the Truckee but this one takes some time to learn. Have to pay your dues.

The American River drainage (wild trout section) above Folsom Lake requires some hiking to get down to good spots but can be good.

The North Yuba above Englebrieght in the Downieville Area is a fun river to fish.

Moving South, the Upper Stanislaus and Kern Rivers.

North and West, the Russian River... and everyone know about Putah Creek.

On the Eastern Slope in the Tahoe region there are so many choices but I've enjoyed the East Carson and West Walker.

There are two others that I would rather not mention due to lurkers but would be happy to share with forumites via PM.

Then there is stillwater..... another thread.

I have more fisheries on my Norcal list of places to go than I have time.
Just moved to Sac. a few years ago and have been spending most of my time on the Delta. I would appreciate any advice on good streams/smaller rivers that I can take my 10 yr. old son to get trout.

trout master

Reaction score
Just noticed you live in Lassen County. You've got at least a half dozen great fisheries that I haven't visited yet in your neck of the woods. You live in trout country. The Fall, the Pit being on the top of my hit list.
ya, i fished um all. i also got some secrets

trout master

Reaction score
Dear creek and cassel forebay are great places to fishing places with easy access for kids. they are stocked well. easy fly fishin.

trout master

Reaction score
It is in cassel it is the stretch of water that runs into a powerhouse and goes into baum lake. It really is just a damned up section of hat creek.